PDA

View Full Version : Seat Questions

dori_86
30th April 2007, 06:48 PM
* i know theres heaps of questions but please read *

ok so im in the market for a new drivers seat and i've done a little bit of research but both are a bit conflicting, im wanting to get a reclinable bcos i still drive it as a daily

but my first question is... is it a mistake to go reclinable(sp??) over fixed? as i already have stiff coilovers and soon to have a clunky LSD, is it as "liveable" as them?

also i want to still be able to slide the seat forward and back so does that mean i need to get the new seat welded onto my existing rails? or use the rails that come with the seat?i know i can use ke70 rails, but what about a ae86 passenger side set of rails?

next is does anyone know of seats that have come with "bolt-in" rails for ae86's if so r they $$$

and any suggestions on what seats are decent? i also want to get a 5 point harness in the future but will this impact the overall cost of the seat (eg a seat designed for 5point is more expensive than 3point?) prefer fixed back if its not too bad to live with compared to reclinable

cheers for reading any input is helpful

chapl
30th April 2007, 07:04 PM
man your going to far into it!!! haha
my bride is reclinable... and it moves a lil... but nothing noticable while driving..
passenger seat rails im pretty sure wont fit drivers side floor mounts... well might fit but might not slide..
you can make your existing rail fit your new seat...
or you can buy new ones....
id go to autobarn or another performance shop, sit in a few there to get a feel....

dori_86
30th April 2007, 07:17 PM
ha ah ur old school bride is wicked,

yeah but i wanna be able to unbolt my old seat and chuck the new 1 in as quick as possibly with out butchering my old seat as i cant keep my car off the road too long, plus fixed give me an excuse to take my rear seats out and so i can get the harness mounting points

anyway dont autobahn only have crappy monzaor "showy" seats?or something? and no proper brands, only catalogs of proper brands? prefer something decent thats used inmotorsport, if im wrong u can tell i havent been in 1 for ages

gottago
30th April 2007, 08:44 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/128497.jpg

i butchered my old seat that i had and made that. really easy to do. just grind off the bits of metal holding the seat to the rail and then sit them back in the car. ( note make sure rails are parallel).

then i just got sum 4*20mm flat bar welded on ( think that was the size) and drilled the holes for the seat. used rocker cover bolts off another car for the seat. to do both rails drilled and welded by a shop that i just walked into and gave them measurements it was like $40..

u have to go reclinable if the car is to be st registered as to provide safe access/exit to the rear passengers. how is the rear passengers supposed to get out if the front seat is fixed back?

a car shop quoted me $500 to put the 2 seats on.. so yeah saving of $460 with just a bit of basic logical thinking and planning.

im in sydney i got another drivers seat complete here, u can have the rails for $40 ( if thats the going rate??) plus postage..

dori_86
1st May 2007, 01:45 AM
thats cool man thanks for the help and offer, but i'll give it a go first, see if i can scab some rails out a ke70

just a question there is a spring underneath the seat, but u dont have 1 in ur pic does that mean the seat doesnt fly forward when no-ones in the seat and u press the release button? or did u attach it?

dori_86
1st May 2007, 07:27 PM
****NOTE: double check seat rails as there are differences in ke70 1's i had a seat out of a square headlight 1 (early ke70) different setup (ie sliding mechanism and slightly different mounts, but found a shovel front (late ke70) with what looks to be identical to an ae86 setup but just slight differences such as handles ect

RobertoX
1st May 2007, 07:34 PM
isn't the shovel front ke a ke71?

dori_86
2nd May 2007, 11:25 AM
well theres ke70 and ae71, basically MOST ke70 have square light front and ALL ae71 have the shovel front but, some of the shovel fronts are actually ke70's as the dont have the 4ac, still 4k motor and also have ke70 on the firewall plaque.

Gilly
2nd May 2007, 11:50 AM
isn't the shovel front ke a ke71?[/b]

nah thats just a nickname

early 70 = square
late 70 = shovel nose
all 71 = shovel nose

RobertoX
2nd May 2007, 08:38 PM
ah, thanks for that... I suppose that is why I've heard people refer to them as ke71