PDA

View Full Version : gze flywheel clearance

nanes
7th May 2007, 06:56 PM
hey guys

can someone tell me, when using the ~230mm gze flywheel, what actually causes the clearance issues??

i can bolt my bellhousing over my gze flywheel with a few mm clearance around the whole diametre,

BUT i dont have a clutch or pressure plate and i dont want to buy one if its not going to fit in the bellhousing.

if that all makes any sense, can anyone help??

i want to know what hits the bellhousing on a gze flywheel clutch kit.

thanks http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

James

p.s. i know the issues are with bolting a t50 box up but its still relevant with my bellhousing.

JDMJNKY
7th May 2007, 09:14 PM
if you have a nightparts bellhousing then it will clear if u have a malaysian bellhousing the bolts that bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel hit the bellhousing.

nanes
8th May 2007, 07:55 AM
if you have a nightparts bellhousing then it will clear if u have a malaysian bellhousing the bolts that bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel hit the bellhousing.[/b]

ok thanks,

i bought it from a ae86dc member, he said it was nz but unknown company,

i dont think its a niteparts... although it does have a fair amount of clearance.

il just get the gze clutch kit, then if it touches il grind it.

thanks

PuGZoR
8th May 2007, 05:45 PM
One of my mates had a GZE fly with his Niteparts bellhousing and did scrape. Apparently the GZE clutch kit fit a 212mm GE flywheel though... *shrugs* I'm confused as to what I'm going to do about this, think I might take a trip down to the wreckers and see what fits the kit I bought.

Seems that some people have problems, others don't.

JDMJNKY
8th May 2007, 09:05 PM
im running a 212mm flywheel behind 170kw i just went that way because i was also unsure about the bellhosing hitting the gze flywheel and cooked a 200mm clutch.

nanes
8th May 2007, 10:21 PM
yep i had the problem of destroying 200mm clutchs on my 4agte, ~170rwkw as well..

i just bought a spare gze which came with flywheel, but i may just sell the flywheel and get a 212mm flywheel and clutch from AJPS,

i spoke to him today, sounds like some good gear he is selling.

rthy
9th May 2007, 12:16 AM
dont niteparts say you need to do a bit of enlarging if you run a GZE clutch +flywheel?

Anthony
10th May 2007, 11:33 PM
Ive tried that combo and the motor was locked up upon assembly. I ground the high edges from the cover plate and removed a small amount of material from the inside of the bell with a flapper disc and it cleared. only just hits and may even change depending which brand cover you use.

The clutch shop I use reckons the 230mmclutch with negative step isnt much chop so we run a HD 212 5 puck setup normally or a mitsu evo cover on supra plate with custom billet flywheel for the really big jobs.

rthy
11th May 2007, 12:49 AM
what do you mean by negative step anthony?

Jonny Rochester
11th May 2007, 01:11 AM
He means the clutch mounting points stick out further than the clutch surface on the flywheel, like aboout 10mm. The flywheel is not flat.

A normal flywheel like a 4AG one is either flat or has a small 0.5 or 1mm step where the clutch surface is highter than the mounting holes.

Anthony
11th May 2007, 12:52 PM
Yeah the step is the height difference between the surface the clutch plate grips on and the surface the cover plate bolts to.

So for example normal 200 and 212mm 4age flywheels have are meant to have a +0.5mm step and 4agze etc has a -18.5mm step, most nissan stuff (ca, sr, rb) has no step.

nanes
11th May 2007, 01:00 PM
Ive tried that combo and the motor was locked up upon assembly. I ground the high edges from the cover plate and removed a small amount of material from the inside of the bell with a flapper disc and it cleared. only just hits and may even change depending which brand cover you use.

The clutch shop I use reckons the 230mmclutch with negative step isnt much chop so we run a HD 212 5 puck setup normally or a mitsu evo cover on supra plate with custom billet flywheel for the really big jobs.[/b]

hey anthony,

what setup would you recommend and supply, for ~200rwkw?? on a 4a?

and what price range?

thanks

rthy
11th May 2007, 04:53 PM
ok thanks, I did previously wonder about that step.