PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you seriously speed in a WRX

Driftspec
11th May 2007, 11:32 PM
Was at a friends shed a few weeks ago while replacing the clutch, and he had a WRX he bought at auction. Mileage: ~50,000. Condition: Been barrel rolled a few times at over 150kmh, possibly a couple of trees involved:

[attachment=15122:attachment]
(rear of the car, with bits and pieces piled up on top of it. Two of the guys at the front where trying to get the engine running which, remarkably, was turning over and working apart from an ignition/anti-theft issue)

[attachment=15123:attachment]

Casualties: 1, the driver. Not sure how the crash happened, the theory is that he was induced into a slide, and slid the rear into a tree (major impact damage to the rear left seems to support this), forcing the car to spin the other way and starting the car into a roll.

[attachment=15124:attachment]
Passenger seat; gives you an idea of the force involved.

[attachment=15125:attachment]
The roof, which was removed by the firies to take the guy out. Only the cuts are mode by them; the rest of the damage was caused by the crash.

[attachment=15126:attachment]
Amazingly, the front bar and grill was left intact, with only some scratching and dust on it. Engine was fine, the only damage to that was on the cam covers. Purely superficial, everything else in the engine bay was fine.

[attachment=15127:attachment]

If you want a pictorial on how badly you can crash at speed, then here it is. Sure was a nasty one, especially to see a WRX turned into a pile of metal and material so easily.

mike86
12th May 2007, 12:02 AM
far out man u cant even tell that its a wrx

outcast350
12th May 2007, 12:20 AM
Wow, thats gnarly. Speed can, infact, kill.

Hope he got it cheap http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

Klutch
12th May 2007, 12:26 AM
Holey shit...looks nothing like a car anymore.

us_ae86
12th May 2007, 06:29 AM
meh.... you could buff it out. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

mc68
13th May 2007, 03:49 AM
id be weary of only superficial damage on the donk hey

ive seen and work on alot of smashed up subis (owners like hitting shit hey)!

and yeah, simple front corner hits (i mean ones that are big enough to justify rail re-align) u think only the cam covers are broken, but ive seen timing belts snap on impact, whilst the engine was running, couple moreactuallycracking cams, when the force was pushed back on the cam wheels...

yeah..

MINIHORSE
13th May 2007, 03:06 PM
far out thats some serious shit, i cant beleive they sell that shit at auction, i mean someone died there, free sti donk tho,
oh well
proves a point, speed kills

Driftspec
13th May 2007, 08:33 PM
id be weary of only superficial damage on the donk hey

ive seen and work on alot of smashed up subis (owners like hitting shit hey)!

and yeah, simple front corner hits (i mean ones that are big enough to justify rail re-align) u think only the cam covers are broken, but ive seen timing belts snap on impact, whilst the engine was running, couple moreactuallycracking cams, when the force was pushed back on the cam wheels...

yeah..[/b]

Those guys know what they are doing, and they'd checked everything for damage. It was fine, the only issue was that the key was damaged in the crash (as you'd expect) so the anti-theft was kicking in. Engine would turn over, all cooling was fine, fuel lines etc fine but the immobiliser was preventing it from firing. He also got a MY05 front bar as well, which, as I said, was undamaged http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wtf.gif

Apparently there was an AE86 coupe there for sale as well, about $4k... was also very badly smashed up, bent rear and had a missing roof (as well as other major damage I can't remember about right now), so he didn't buy it. Those auctions can be good to grab bargains, but if you are superstitious, or don't like the thought of what happened in the car, steer well clear...

wooley
13th May 2007, 09:02 PM
far out thats some serious shit, i cant beleive they sell that shit at auction, i mean someone died there, free sti donk tho,
oh well
proves a point, speed kills[/b]

insurance will sell anything for money.

lol.

mc68
15th May 2007, 02:10 AM
Those guys know what they are doing, and they'd checked everything for damage. It was fine, the only issue was that the key was damaged in the crash (as you'd expect) so the anti-theft was kicking in. Engine would turn over, all cooling was fine, fuel lines etc fine but the immobiliser was preventing it from firing. He also got a MY05 front bar as well, which, as I said, was undamaged http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wtf.gif[/b]

i know that well...it probably had a brant (keypad)...thing will turn over all day but fuel pump wont work....i fucking hate those things!