PDA

View Full Version : What could this sound be?

li21
13th May 2007, 11:01 PM
Hi all

I lately I have noticed a sound comig from my car which is very annoying.
It sounds like its coming from the rear.
It cannot be heard over the engine / exhaust but is clearly there when cruising or rolling in neutral.

Sounds like ... a chugging train.. or to be more specific the blades of a helicoptor spinning ..
The faster i am going / rolling .. the faster and louder the sound is.

Ive described this sound to some people and they reckon its the diff?

Anyone know what this is ? Ive driven cars in it where ive also noticed it , but didnt car cos it wasnt my car.
cheers

wooley
13th May 2007, 11:04 PM
Hi all

I lately I have noticed a sound comig from my car which is very annoying.
It sounds like its coming from the rear.
It cannot be heard over the engine / exhaust but is clearly there when cruising or rolling in neutral.

Sounds like ... a chugging train.. or to be more specific the blades of a helicoptor spinning ..
The faster i am going / rolling .. the faster and louder the sound is.

Ive described this sound to some people and they reckon its the diff?

Anyone know what this is ? Ive driven cars in it where ive also noticed it , but didnt car cos it wasnt my car.
cheers[/b]

well its drivetrain related.
if from rear.
and when in neutral id say its the dif...
you have a locker or lsd?

RobertoX
13th May 2007, 11:08 PM
like a sort of rumble/grind noise? Sounds very much like a rear wheel bearing to me.

Gilly
13th May 2007, 11:20 PM
you would have heard heaps of falcons and commodores doing it

adjust your brakes shoes (rear http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif) they will be contacting the drum whilst "disengaged' causing a "shink shink shink" sound. comoodores and falcons do it as they have a drum handbrake even though they have a disc rear end

ke70dave
13th May 2007, 11:36 PM
from what i gather i have the same thing as you, stupid noise from the diff that is always on, id say diff bearing. bit of a bugger to replace, mine is just borge warner ke70 diff, so i dont care, but if you got a T series or something good then i suggest fixing it before it gets to bad.

li21
14th May 2007, 05:16 AM
Thanks guys.
No locked diff or LSD.

Its a near stock ae86.. People i've talked to suggest diff or as Gilly mentioned, rear brakes?

What am I up for if its diff/bearings?

Stain
14th May 2007, 09:43 AM
As RobertoX said it could be the rear wheel bearing(s). Has happened to me before and it drove me nuts until I worked it out.
Have you hit any gutters or given a rear wheel a nasty tap recently? Thats how I did mine.

Joel-AE86
14th May 2007, 11:52 AM
Check your brakes as people have suggested...if the sound doesnt go away, then it's liklely that its is either a wheel bearing or your diff is whining.

Diffs don't usually whine however when in neutral, they mainly whine on acceleration due to excess vibrations due to crownwheel and/or pinion wear.

Gilly
14th May 2007, 01:02 PM
it will take 5 minutes for someone to adjust your brakes, if your cluey its free. then its eliminated as a root cause. don't get a diff built when its only a shoe adjustment

hot tip

stick your head out the window or get a mate too it will be louder outside the car if its shoes. or drive next to a guide rail and it will be loud.

wind your windows up, if it's it louder now its your diff http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

verm69
14th May 2007, 01:28 PM
ah! that gilly! he's so clever http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

obey wan boenny
14th May 2007, 02:06 PM
I had this same problem in my Subaru 1800, it turned out to be the brake shoes like Gilly said before. so probably adjust them.

flamingheads
14th May 2007, 04:13 PM
COuldn't you jack the rear off the ground and spin one wheel at a time. If only one makes the scraping noise you know which side it is. Then you can take the wheel off and check the brake to see if its hitting (my bet) if not you know its a wheel bearing.
This should be the easiest way to tell shouldnt it?

JinxD
14th May 2007, 08:53 PM
iv had 2 diff centres that have made this noise 1 open one lsd iv left the lsd as it sounds like a supercharger lol

EMD-KE70
15th May 2007, 12:00 AM
Lol, bald spots on your tyres?
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif