PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a newbie question

DjB
17th May 2007, 10:21 PM
Hello guys and girls.....

Im very much a AE nut. My current ride is an AE82 with a 20V/Wolf3D in the wings waiting. But after a friend of mine bought a Sprinter im pretty keen for one myself.

After much searching through the forums Ive found that to get a genuine Jpsec'd AE86 your looking at 12-15K (complied and rego'd). However, ive seen Aspec items that have twin cam conversion for around 5-8K. Understandable there is going to be hardware differences, but is there going to be a huge difference between the two? Im pretty mechanically minded so Im fairly confident in doing a 4AGE changeover myself.

So, this is my question. Are Jspec 86s that much better than an Aspec? (assuming the Aspec has been converted to a 4AGE/T50/LSD).

I understand that LSD rearends are costly and Im here to learn as much as I can before I go out and buy one.

Cheers a bunch guys

Chris

Granto
17th May 2007, 11:17 PM
So, this is my question. Are Jspec 86s that much better than an Aspec? (assuming the Aspec has been converted to a 4AGE/T50/LSD).

seats. interior. speed warning chime, differential, engine, the side the clutch slave is on, and the lights and a few other mainly cosmetic things.

I'd say no http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

depends if you want to drive it or sit there looking at it saying it'd jdm!

ae86hachiroku
17th May 2007, 11:24 PM
personally, unless you can pick up a real good adm one here for cheap... go and buy a jdm one that has lots of goodies in it, i believe you'd save a lot of money.
this is not a jdm is better its just more cost effective imo

ke70dave
17th May 2007, 11:33 PM
theres a stack of info around here about the differences between the 2.

like has been said

adm -4ac, open S series diff
JDM - 4age, i think theres a few different diffs, ranging from open drum-drum, to lsd disc-disc, better front brakes

aesthetically slightly different, different grills/lights etc

as to what one to buy,

you can go and spend uberous amounts of money and buy a jdm one, with some cool stuff (aka someone elses prokect)

but since you say you are mechanically minded, then you should be able to pick up an ADM one reasonably cheap, stick a 4age in with some nice brake/suspension mods.

sure not the most cost effective thing, but we're talking about cars here, they are never cost effective http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

pluss builidng your own car from scratch is pretty satisfying (not that mine is finished yet, but its getting there:P)

my 2c anyway

DjB
18th May 2007, 07:21 PM
Ive been thinking about it a little more.......

Sourcing a rwd half cut and an lsd rear end yadda yadda yadda..... At the same time JDM ones do seem pretty costly, and im still researching whats involved in bring one over from Japan. There are some good ones for sale in the Cars for sale thread...... Time will tell... But I like to think that Im the kind of person that would be happy driving a converted aspec instead of posing next to a jspec.....LOL

Cheers for the repsonses

Chris

Axentrik
20th May 2007, 04:41 PM
in short... any sprinter.. adm or jdm is not going to work out cheap. you will pump more dollars into it than u ever imagined...

Ru-iki
20th May 2007, 06:33 PM
If i could do it over I'd buy a jdm car even if it costs more. Saves tons of work, and some money. Have a look at this link...

http://www.justjap.com/vehicles.htm

flamingheads
21st May 2007, 01:36 AM
I know everyones different but personally I prefer driving a car than working on one.
I'd say why not buy an ADM that someones already made sweet. It's the cheapest option and you aren't going to have a car sitting in your garage dreaming about how great it'll be when its finished.
Getting frustrated when things go wrong and being sick of not having a decent car to drive just don't do it for me..

Granto
21st May 2007, 02:04 AM
I'd go ADM personally.

Joel-AE86
21st May 2007, 12:02 PM
JDM = overpriced junk

orido
21st May 2007, 01:20 PM
JDM = Internet/Takumi fanboy wang.

gay dee em.

Granto
21st May 2007, 02:19 PM
I've just always found it odd and too hard to swallow. it's a mathmetical equation.

the difference between the two is the shipping cost and compliancing.

so.

for the price of shipping/compliance, can an ADM be made to be better than a JDM? i think so.

but what do I know, i'm not even supposed to be here today!

Shiri
21st May 2007, 03:08 PM
If I do it all over again... I'll be buying a JDM...

Only cause I'd keep it pretty much as close to GT-Apex/GTV trim as possible... If your planning on modding it you may as well go ADM...

Hen is a total nutcase
21st May 2007, 03:12 PM
but what do I know, i'm not even supposed to be here today![/b]
Why does it smell like shoe polish in here?

I agree with Grant, orido and Joel

Hen

Granto
21st May 2007, 04:33 PM
THIRTY SEVEN?!?!!

Hen is a total nutcase
21st May 2007, 05:28 PM
In a row?

DjB
21st May 2007, 06:26 PM
Ive owned moded cars before so im well aware of the price and costs involved. When I decide on whether a JDM or ADM is the one for me, it will be very much a weekend fun car, not a daily. My AE82 is for daily duties. Cheers a bunch for the input though. I think ill end up with an ADM. I like the idea of tailor building a car to my needs, and I would feel bad cutting up a genuine TRUENO. There are alot of ADMs ive seen on the forum that look great.

Thanks heaps again guys.

Chris

gottago
21st May 2007, 06:46 PM
if your gunna mod it heaps, and its mainly just for pigging around ( eg thrashing the fuck out of it just dont care) id go ADM like my beaast, i got mine with 20v EMS t50 t18 all new short stroke suspension swaybars strut braces zorst quads etc all set up for drift for 5k.. mine would rip the stock JDM ones apart. and a saving of $7,000??? buy it built, coz building and selling cars is for suckers...

i sero reckon just buy a ADM one for anything up to 15k and u will def get your money's worth, coz we all know that car has had 25k spent on it already... we all know u never get money back on engineering and most conversion.. all im saying is, why spend 20k for the same thing if u could spend 15k for sumthing better?

if you want sumthing respectfull and keep in top condition ( always clean always well taken care of) id go for a JDM, IMO or even just a really well looked after ADM.. ofcourse none of this 4ac junk. and you'd prob keep the interior in a JDM ay haha

DjB
21st May 2007, 11:21 PM
I'm one of these boneheads that once I get I car I like I wont sell it unless the boss, my wife, tells me to. That What happened to my VR4....). I want one for fun. Thrashing is such a harsh word. LOL. But yes, if I give it a flogging on the weekend and something breaks, I can park it in my garage and fix it when I get round to it.

Cool

Chris

DjB
22nd May 2007, 12:33 AM
Oh yeah.... To add,

Try not suck any d**k out in parking lot........