PDA

View Full Version : late model 4age external oil drain

ToySprinta
4th June 2007, 01:19 AM
In the haste and excitment of fitting a worked bigport head to my late 4agze block, I completly forgot that the early heads did not have the external oil drain at the back of the head, so I now have a useless drain into the block.
How important is this oil drain? Is it neccessary for a an engine that is going to get flogged, or is it one of those toyota over-engineered things which is nice to have, but not completely needed?

I figure i was just gonna cap it off for now, and wait till the head has to come off again for whatever reason, and just drill a new drain into the back of the head...

CHeers for your thoughts
Steve

ToySprinta
4th June 2007, 01:24 AM
http://www.users.bigpond.com/rgpembrey/oildrain.jpg

fixeruperer
4th June 2007, 01:30 AM
nah she'll be right either block it up or use it as drainback for breather

ToySprinta
4th June 2007, 03:20 PM
that was the plan, only thing is, wont that pressurize the crankcase?

beerhead
4th June 2007, 04:07 PM
It'll still have a breather hole in the head as per the orginal bigport config.

fixeruperer
4th June 2007, 04:07 PM
you still got that breather from the block into the head, earlier gze's didnt even have external breather.
id link it up to my breather anyway but make shaw its filtered

JDMJNKY
4th June 2007, 09:17 PM
im running the opposite of ur problem smallport head bigport block just blocked the drain on the head and 170rwkw and many thrashing sessions later no problems!

Jonny Rochester
4th June 2007, 09:17 PM
Years ago, I heard quite a few stories of smoke coming out the exhaust of AE86 and AW11 when having a go at the track, on either left or right corners. Forgot which.

I am told, when the engine is reved alot, the oil drainback is not big enough and the head fills up with oil. The oil then goes out the PCV and breather hose and into the intake, threw the engine, and out the exhaust as smoke.

It would have been hard to diagnose the first time. Alot of cars at the track have a catch can these days.

If the head is still off, I would try and copy the later oil drain thing.

ToySprinta
4th June 2007, 09:57 PM
orangechargd86: good to hear a personal experiance reply, should be able to sleep better now.
fixeruperer: I've heard that the cracnk throws oil out this side, and 40psi4agte from toymods ended up with an engine bay full of oil cos the catchcan overflowed...
Jonny Rochester: Thats what i've heard, but hopefully running a catch can will be a good bandaid solution. I'll probably tap the head in the off season...

Jonny Rochester
5th June 2007, 12:34 AM
That reminds me, I tried to use the breather on the block of my 2T-G (same side) as a oil drain for the catch can once. Ended up with a engine bay full of oil.