PDA

View Full Version : coilover problems

loc33e
4th June 2007, 08:30 PM
i have the supra brake conversion and i think supra coilovers, because i cant fit them in my ae86 LCA without some mods. anyways my coilover is knocking, i think its because of the lose ball joint where the camber top is. when i jack up my car and take out the wheel, i can shake the whole coilover strut. When i drive i hear knocking sounds.... its very annoying and get me very worried...

will this do any damage if i keep driving my car..???

Also, with the coilover i get some camber. even with the camber set so its straight as possible, i still get heaps of camber. also the driver side is more cambered the the passenger side.. looks kinda retarted..LoL

any opinion/suggestions

roadsailing
4th June 2007, 10:21 PM
i had somethign similar to this the other day, sounds like a loose gland nut (thats the nut that holds the strut insert inside the strut)

if the nut at the top of the shock is loose, you will be able to see/feel it moving when you bounce the car.

to tighten the gland nut you will need to pull the strut out of the car, pull the spring off and tighten it with some multigrips/bigass shifter.

slide86
4th June 2007, 10:25 PM
bent strut? causing excessive camber

loc33e
5th June 2007, 11:46 PM
thanks for the reply.

RoadSailing : i think its more of the ball joint holding the camber top because when i took the strut out before the camber top was loose where the ball joint is. i think its getting worst and worst everytime i drive. first it was ok. now i get more regular knocks

slide86 : how do i know if its a bent strut?

slide86
5th June 2007, 11:52 PM
visual. maybe have it wheel aligned

ke70dave
6th June 2007, 10:31 AM
yeah get a wheel alignment, mate got a wheel alignemnt and told them to set both wheels at -2.5deg camber, when got it back the camber tops were adjusted differently, but the wheels were the same camber. dunno how that happened but it did.

as for the knocking, it could be the pillow ball joint thing at the camber plate, these wear out as well, i dunno where you get spares though

loc33e
6th June 2007, 05:01 PM
is it alrright if i keep driving with the knocking sounds?

deanoo
6th June 2007, 05:23 PM
what camber tops do u have???

i had the same problem with mine i had t3 camber tops and the bearings on the camber tops stuffed up and had sum playe in them.. thats what makes that noise

BrittanySpears
6th June 2007, 05:32 PM
i wouldnt drive it man no

loc33e
6th June 2007, 05:51 PM
yeah its a T3 camber top.. dont drive it? i been driving it for weeks now?!?!?!

deanoo
6th June 2007, 06:05 PM
thought so more then likely its the bearings

na its kool i drove mine around for a month doesnt do any harm

loc33e
6th June 2007, 06:15 PM
are u sure man? fark.. i got no insurance.. LoL so its the pillow joint holding the camber top? do i fix/replace that or get new camber tops?

ke70dave
6th June 2007, 08:13 PM
its not gonna fall apart on you, it will just progressively get worse and worse, and if you let it go long enough it might fall appart,

jack your car up, and shake your wheel, and look at the top of the camper top, you should see stuff moving and making the noise

driftism
6th June 2007, 08:53 PM
and get some insurance!

deanoo
7th June 2007, 09:51 PM
lol na man its not gonna fall apart u can get new bearings but its just gonna happen again i reckon get cusco or sumthing like that i got cuscos and havent had a problem since

ae71neo
7th June 2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah mines started knocking again, its just the top spring hat banging on the bottom of the camber top spacers. Well i think so anyway, im not to worried...

loc33e
10th June 2007, 06:22 PM
yeah, i bolted/screwed and bolt to the camber top to the plate... stops the knocking for now...