PDA

View Full Version : N/A GZE

Mr Fujiwara
5th June 2007, 01:18 AM
hello all,

Sorry to start another thread, tonight ive been debating with myself wether its worth converting my currently Turbo'd 4agze to N/A.

The engine is currently out of the car and being rebuilt, and as most of you may have read, i cannot drive this car if it is turbo charaged due to VicRoads' new laws. i know the GZE 42mm crank is steel and is strong, and i also have a set of Billet Steel Argo conrods, and i have been considering wether to convert my car to n/a, as i have concluded that the better fuel pump i have, with the larger GZE Injectors and the GZE internals and block would be an excellent base for an N/A screamer.

i guess my real questions would be : What would happen to the GZE computer if i was to N/A the car, and would it be worth cramming a 4age computer into my loom (would that even work? sorry about my lack of knoledge on some things) and get a GE head with dizzy and plenum with MAP sensor etc (as im assuming the GE wouldnt understand CAS and AFM).

Or

Would it be worth getting some kind of Tuned computer or a programable one to dial in the engine with CAS and stuff?

And finally, ive read the thread on Registering 4age converted sprinters, and i was wondering if any of you would know if an engine conversion like this *just pretend ive put blue top valve convers on my engine*, and saying it makes 88kw would count as "performace modification" to the sprinter, because a restriction on the "high powered vehicles" is no engine modifications to increase performance. ( i know 4a-c makes like 50kw or somthing so its an increase) Plus ive also got bigger brakes.
Or simply do you think a police man would even realise??

sorry i wrote so much,
if you have any suggestions what so ever feel free to put them down, im almost open to anything at the moment!

thanks guys,

slide86
5th June 2007, 01:29 AM
it might not goes as well as having the low compression ratio.

i would also use an aftermarket management, as the GZE ecu is tuned to see some boost and hence add fuel and take timing out. removing timing on an N/A engine would make it an absolute slug.

if you sold that engine with the goodies it had in it you could get a 20v and put an ECU on it. with a good tune and some small mods, that would be good power for an atmo conversion.

Mr Fujiwara
5th June 2007, 01:37 AM
would a 20valve be harder to get engineered into the car/resigistered into the car than a "blue top" (wink wink) 16valve? because the 20valve certainly does look more "modifed" with the 16valve and the modern cam cover etc.

i meant to say "with the ITB's" haha sorry

ae71
5th June 2007, 02:04 AM
i think a gze without boost make about the same amount of power as a stock 4ac... and probaly worse fuel economy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

stefan
5th June 2007, 11:38 AM
rebuild your motor with na set up high comp etc

or go 20v black top with tuned set up either way

but 20 set up would be cheap to do and get set up

Hen is a total nutcase
5th June 2007, 11:52 AM
Your GZE is identical to the same year GE except for:
- Pistons, the ZE pistons are lower CR and so crap for NA
- Rings
- Cam covers

The computer is mapped to handle boost, but running it NA is fine too, it'll just use half the map. There **may** be some very slight issues with idle control etc given the different length of inlet tract if you set it up NA.

So if you change your pistons you have a great NA engine. Probably not worth it in my opinion, but emminently doable.

And trying to splice a GE computer into your current engine would be hard. There are a fair few differences in electronics (CAS, ISCV, MAP sensor, probably more)

stefan
5th June 2007, 12:11 PM
ze has 7 rib black mega strong

build it up and change pistons crank and condods

should have mad comp then quads

Hen is a total nutcase
5th June 2007, 12:19 PM
ze has 7 rib black mega strong[/b]
So do all GEs bar some early bigports. Plus even the "weak" 3 rib block will be one of the last things to let down even a serious performance engine.

Also this discussion may be pointless to begin with. If you want to stay NA to stay within the new Pplate laws in Vic then you'll probably have to stay 4AC too. Read into it, but I think engine mods (including I'd guess engine swaps) are out for P platers too. So there's no point doing all this work to end up with something less powerful that is still illegal.

That'd leave you with:
- do the ZE properly and be illegal
- stay 4AC and be legal.

Hen

Mr Fujiwara
5th June 2007, 12:28 PM
i forgot to mention if i was going to go N/A screamer i would be getting high comp pistons (11:1 approx) but thats really good news to hear that there's no real difference in the computer!
i think that's what ill be doing.
thanks again guys!
cya.

Hen is a total nutcase
5th June 2007, 12:43 PM
Reading your original post again, I think you are leading yourself astray a little.

If you do anything other than run a stock 4AC you'll be on the wrong side of the law while you are on your P plates.

Also I doubt it is worth stripping a running GTE to convert it to NA. You'd be better off (it'd be no extra work) finding a cheap blown GE and rebuild it. This could be financed by selling the complete running turbo motor.

Or thirdly you could just drive it as is. Great fun until you had an accident or got pulled over. Then you'd better get good at grabbing your ankles.

Hen

stefan
5th June 2007, 12:48 PM
man victoria sounds farked up

no fun in cars

4ac ftl

Mr Fujiwara
5th June 2007, 07:41 PM
ive decided, i will do it, and that i figure N/A is better for touge racing http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/greenbounce.gif , and most importantly, with a quick inspection it looks pretty stock (to the untrained eye), as i could make it look dirty and old inside the engine bay so if for what ever reason i get someone looking at it, they may just think its some "old crappy car" so they might leave me alone. Also N/A wont make any crazy noises that most police are familiar with.
Ill also borrow a mates bike if worst case loose my license for watteva reason, and also just drive relatively normally around the streets.

i was aware the whole time N/A was going to be illegal anyway, i just really want a DOHC RWD car. haha.