PDA

View Full Version : K motor starting 5k! :(

pebbles
5th June 2007, 07:12 PM
My 5k turns over slowly when u try and start it in the morning (compared to when u start it when its warmed up) even when ive had the battery charger on all night, so full battery, yet it stil turns over slowly,
its just a stock 5k, only modification is high air flow filter and new exhaust pipeing, with 2 mufflers(nothin spesh)

I thought that the reason it wouldnt start was because it wasnt gettinga big enough spark form the coil, but even with bypassing the resister to make the spark bigger it wont start, i think its coz its turning over too slowly

um, its missing a filter on the engine breather if that makes any difference. and also the wireing of the positive side of the battery is kind of dodgy i noticed when i put the new battery in il get a pic in a min. but it never used to do this.
so does anyone know things that make a car turn over slowly??
sorry for all the rambling but im getting frustrated because i dont know why its doing it so i dont know what to describe here.

thx people
-Dearman

PS. its in a ke30

pebbles
5th June 2007, 07:13 PM
btw i ment it turns over slowly when trying to start, not when running, it runs prety good

sory i dint make that very clear,
thx

slide86
5th June 2007, 07:17 PM
starter motor is rooted.

clean all battery terminals

Rob
5th June 2007, 10:55 PM
starter motor is rooted.

clean all battery terminals[/b]

Do that ^^

And check for voltage drop between battery and starter.
Also check the earths on the engine.

ke70dave
6th June 2007, 10:39 AM
yeah my 4k does that as well, and its got a reconed started motor in there. i put mine down to stuffed battery, but since you say yours is a decent battery and it still does it..hmm weird.

im liking the cleaning the battery terminal thing though, give that a go. also clean terminals on the starter motor (its a real bugger of a job)

EMD-KE70
6th June 2007, 06:47 PM
I have the same problem....maybe its a K series thing?
I got a "new" starter, new battery, cleaned ALL the earths and terminals.
umm, Rebuilt the whole motor now, so I'll see if that makes any difference.

I think I'm gonna re-wire the starter, I'm also putting in a relay for the starter from the battery because it does the "click click" thing.
I have broken....3 starters trying to fix this problem....hope you find a solution soon.

Im sure at least 1 person would have found a remedy?
I've also been to an auto electrician, and they didn't know what the problem was, he thought it was the starter. We'll see.