PDA

View Full Version : Charge Light on DASH

soongster
7th June 2007, 12:13 PM
Hi My charge light keeps coming on and dissapearing! if it comes on i free rev it to about 4500Rpm and it goes away only to come back on shortly, fan belt is tight but it hasnt been replaced for ages, so i am thinking its that, otherwise if the alernator was stuffed it would be on all the time and not dissapear when i rev it to 4500Rpm sometimes 5000RPM and seems to go out when i also brake or stop.

Can anyone give me an idea on what too look for or if someone has had the same problem.

selk
7th June 2007, 01:31 PM
hows the battery ? then get the alternator checked out

soongster
7th June 2007, 02:55 PM
yeah i think its the alternator as it is intermittent, it just keeps coming on but not straight away. like sometime its on the goes away all by itself then u free rev it and it goes away sometimes for a couple of mins then maybe a few seconds, so i think i might clean the alternator apart and clean it out and check the bearings and buses and can you put some form of lube on the bearings??

mikewestphoto
8th June 2007, 12:28 AM
It's a buggered alternator. My charge light would be on when driving but as soon as the engine went over 4500, the charge light goes off. I got the alternator rebuilt and and it was fixed.

soongster
8th June 2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah i have got the alternator getting rebuilt new bearings and bushes!, well everything will be replaced excecpt the casing had it rebuilt before about 2.5 years ago!

oh well thank god its getting rebuilt.

BrittanySpears
8th June 2007, 02:40 PM
sounds like brushes but check ya belts too, they could be slipping in high revs but i doubt it

driftism
8th June 2007, 05:21 PM
go to the wreckers and get a second hand altenator, should be cheaper than getting it rebuilt.