PDA

View Full Version : Jap model 4age sprinter engines

Dori86
7th June 2007, 04:59 PM
Hey guys
Okie doki
got 2 different engines- both 96 kw jap engines both from sprinters
one is red rocker cover writing one is blue

I have found thus far that a couple of sensor locations and water lines are different and im doing an engine swap with a red top engine BUT using blue top wiring/sensors ect ect

Can anyone that knows please list the differences so i know what im up for
Thx in advance
Dan

meadan
7th June 2007, 05:08 PM
I think the redtop is a later model bigport which had a 7rib block instead of the 3 rib one. I think this is the only real difference between the two, can anyone confirm?

Jonny Rochester
7th June 2007, 10:39 PM
I am looking at the Toyota parts catalog again of course (one of very few things I trust). Looking at "JDM" AE86 in Japan.

It seams that the 4A-GEU stayed the same in the AE86 from 1983 to 1987.

The early covers had blue writing for sure. If later AE86 covers had red writing, then it was cosmetic only.

But some very small changes:
injectors changed at 8401 (but ecu didn't)
ECU changed twice.

These parts: pistons, head assembly, distributor, block assembly have a second subs number with no date. The new numbers are interchangable, only a very very minor update. If there was a bunch of parts that all had a new part number at the same date, then I would guess that yes there was a "red top" with more power or whatever. But that is not the case for the AE86.

Generaly all other parts are exactly the same. Location of sensors and water pipes DID NOT change.

If you have 2 motors with different water pipe and sensor locations, then one of them was not from a AE86.

Post some pics of your different parts and we will tell exactly what car they are from.

Dori86
7th June 2007, 10:44 PM
Wow very helpful thanks alot dude
Im coming to the conclusion that i have a frankenstein engine
Will post pics up

Though it has 230 psi compression accross the board, so once i get my head around the setup should be interesting