PDA

View Full Version : Help needed ASAP with firing order

DjB
16th June 2007, 03:28 PM
Hello all...

My bigport 4AGE was leaking oil from around the distributor (seal was buggered), Ive sorted this problem out but now Ive buggered up my firing order. I need help in sorting this out. Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated. Please also bear in mind that my 4AGE is in a AE82 so the motor sits (obviously) east west, so please take this into account when you post up replies..

Thanks in advance.....

Chris

Rob
16th June 2007, 05:33 PM

dr1ft-pig
16th June 2007, 05:45 PM
should say it on the dizzy cap and yes it is 1342

DjB
16th June 2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah that part i have sorted...1342...

But as far as setting it up goes after you have had the dizzy out and the rotor line up is out. This is hard for me to describe. Putting the dizzy back in and making sure the the rotor is going to be in line with first electrode on the dizzy cap when the engine is in TDC (first piston almost at the top of its stroke)....

Im not to good at describing stuff... sorry. If anyone can make sense of what Ive typed and offer some more advice...

Awesome.. Cheers for the help guys

Chris

deanoo
16th June 2007, 09:26 PM
get the first piston top dead centre and then point the rotor button facing down towards piston 1 then you turn the dizzy to advance the timing or retard

hope u under stood that its a bit hard to explain in writing

Jonny Rochester
16th June 2007, 10:06 PM
Get the first piston to TDC using the mark on the crank pulley, then take the timing belt cover off to make sure the cam marks are at the top. If not, turn the motor around another 360 degrees. Then put the dizzy in with the rotor pointing to no.1 lead.

Adjust with the engine running, using a timing light. And the check conector in.

beerhead
16th June 2007, 10:56 PM
When you don't have a timing light, I set the motor at 10 deg BTDC on Combustion stroke. Work out which one of 4 prongs is cylinder one by putting on the rotor button. When you put in the dizzy the cylinder 1 prong on the dizzy should be exactaly square with the reluctance pickup raised metal bit. Works like a charm every time for me.

DjB
17th June 2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys.... Will give it a crack after breakfast and report back....

Cheers again

Chris

DjB
18th June 2007, 12:36 PM
Still no luck...

It still isn't starting. I have a timing light now which will help once I get it running. Its really strange. I'm doing everything right. Cam timing set to 10' btdc with the rotor button set on electrode 1. I assume cylinder 1 is the cylinder closest to the cam gears. Its getting to the point where I have to start checking little things or I'm going to have to pay someone to come out and fix it. Its starting to drive me nuts....

Chris

Jonny Rochester
18th June 2007, 07:59 PM
And the cam marks are at the top also?

slide86
18th June 2007, 08:15 PM
when it cranks, is it a fast crank, or slow.

or does it crank ok and then stop like the engine is jamming then start again. these are the sort of things that indicate if the timing is advanced way to must or retarded.....

dr1ft-pig
18th June 2007, 08:46 PM
check what number 1 is on the cap, u may have it pointing to the wrong one, it should say it on the cap my 16v did, JDM bigport??

beerhead
18th June 2007, 08:53 PM
Have you tried taking off a rocker cover and making sure you're in the compression stroke on cylinder 1? You may be out of phase. Seems really weird if it won't go and everything else is right.

mikewestphoto
18th June 2007, 11:09 PM
Setting timing simplified.
[attachment=16911:ig_11.jpg]

If you've done that correctly and it's not running start looking at other things.

DjB
19th June 2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks again guys......

Ive just gotten home from work. I loaned a mates XF Falcon ute. My god I forgot what i was like to drive a boat on the road.. LOL
Im about to give it another go. Thanks for posting up diagram Ken.. You're tops !!!! Thanks to everyone else for such quick replies too... I'll keep you all posted..

Chris

DjB
19th June 2007, 05:53 PM
Sorry....

When I crank it over, it cranks just like its ready to start as usual, and it keeps cranking until I turn it off or run out of battery.

Chris

DjB
19th June 2007, 06:06 PM
IT LIVES IT LIVES.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to thank Jesus, my mum and dad........................My wife......we did it baby!!!!!!!!!!....LOL

Thanks guys. You guys are ace....! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Chris

slide86
20th June 2007, 12:52 AM
what was it??

DjB
20th June 2007, 08:03 PM
I'm not entirely sure what the problem was....

I'm 90% convinced that I wasn't lining the 2 indents on the dizzy. So the dizzy was probably a tooth out. Essentially operator error... But I know now what I did wrong so I want do it again....

Cheers to everyone for the help

Chris