PDA

View Full Version : Valve Stem Oil Seals

Course_Out
17th June 2007, 09:51 PM
Hi guys,

Well due to circumstances outside my control I have to postpone my 4age install. This means i need to look at replacing the valve stem seals in my 4ac so that i can stop gassing people at the lights, lol

I know they aren't real dear but I've never replaced a set before, so my question is, how hard is it? Do I need to remove the head to do it? Just trying to get my head around it, if its too big a job I will just keep topping up the oil, ha ha ha

Thanks in advance guys

ke70dave
18th June 2007, 01:21 PM
im not exactly sure how its done.

im thinking your gonna need a valve spring compressor, and from what ive heard its a pretty fidly job. best to take the head off the car and do it on a work bench while sitting down

you may find it easier just putting up a WTB and get a complete new 4ac. you will be able to get one cheap as, someone is bound to have one or three lying around.

lo_rolla
18th June 2007, 02:39 PM
Just keep toppin up the oil, its only a 4ac.

To do you will need to remove the head from the motor, remove cam, and use a valve spring compressor and then renuild it properly.

Jonny Rochester
18th June 2007, 07:57 PM
This is not a easy job, and it is fairly hard also. Most times you do this, you also have the head off the motor, and you are also replacing the head gasket and getting the head planned etc. Generaly, you have to take the valves out, then you may want to regrind or lap the valve seats.

There is a way to replace the valve stem seals without taking the head off or taking the valves out. You take the cam cover off, take all spark plugs out. On a cylinder that has both valves closed, hook up compressed air to the spark plug hole, which keeps the valves up. Then compress the valve springs (with a custom tool you just made) and pop the retainers off, and take the springs off. But I don't think I have ever done this method myself.

But your oil smoke can also be from the rings. Maybe it would be as easy to get a replacement 4A-C off someone.

slide86
18th June 2007, 08:23 PM
i have done the method that johnny speaks of.

you have to be VERY careful that you dont loose the valve into the cylinder, that makes baby jesus cry.

either using the compressed air OR rotate the engine till the piston is on TDC will work.

dont loose any of the collets or retainers, they are small and are easily lost, specially in the head and down the oil return, again, baby jesus will be crying at that.

doing the job with the head of is a bit easier but takes more time (with the head removal and all). doing it in car is quicker but not recommended if your not confident from the start.

Course_Out
19th June 2007, 09:05 PM
Hmmm, bollocks to that

25w/70 ftw!!!!!!

Thanks anyway guys, much appreciated