PDA

View Full Version : grinding nosie

jase ek
21st June 2007, 08:04 PM
hey people

just a quick question for all you's
today i just lowered my 86, its pretty dumped, front was coilover and rear was low kings, what i did today was lower more at the front and rear about inch or 2.. (front n rear wheels under gaurd)
anyways.. took it for a drive and started to make this grinding noise, i jacked up the front end too look.. but cant see any signs.. i check all over the rims, nothing.. checked the brakes.. no luck.. and wheels arent rubbin against anything,a i also checked the rear and couldnt see anything. so i gave up
anyone have any input ?? the sound is sorta about the gear stick end..

im clueless and now stuck with now car :(

jase ek
21st June 2007, 08:12 PM
do i gotta adjust pan hard rod or somthin ?

jase ek
21st June 2007, 08:42 PM
you can only hear the grinding when i drive..

Poobrown86
21st June 2007, 09:49 PM
not the plastic inner guard?

wooley
22nd June 2007, 12:07 AM
(front n rear wheels under gaurd)[/b]

is this your problem? can you still turn? haha.

ke70dave
22nd June 2007, 12:46 AM
make it higher again, if it stops grinding then it was your tyre hitting something

make it lower in small increments till it starts grinding, then make it a bit higher, and leave it there;)

but first pull out those stupid plastic guard things, and get ready to roll your guards with a large metal bar your gonna find:P

jase ek
22nd June 2007, 12:52 AM
im 100% sure its not the tires, i can still turn, it makes the sound when i drive straight..

keiichi
22nd June 2007, 01:25 AM
is it a grinding or scraping noise? does it sound like its coming from within something or external?

jase ek
22nd June 2007, 02:16 PM
its external, i took off all 4 wheels too see if there was any wear or signs, but nothing.. i look in the wheel arch area and no signs or scraping.. i ran out of ideas

jase ek
22nd June 2007, 03:31 PM
i found the problem...
today, when i jacked up the car and diff was hanging down with wheels on.. i started the car and let it run in gear.. no noise
then i jacked up the diff to where the car would normally sit and it started making that sound.. the sound was coming from the tail shaft.. any idea what it is now people ??

keiichi
22nd June 2007, 05:20 PM
tail shaft is obviouslt scraping on something. check anywhere above the tail shaft to see if something is hanging down. or maybe a stick is stuck there http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

rthy
22nd June 2007, 05:46 PM
would you need to shorten your tailshaft?

Gilly
22nd June 2007, 07:00 PM
yep i know whats going on

the tailshaft where the 2 halves join there are bolts holding the 2 halves together, the bolts are contacting the centre mount.

put your car on stands (as in diff jacked up)

loosen the 2 14mm bolts holding the centre tailshaft mount to the chassis

this should automatically move forward. giving you some clearance.

to get even more clearance take the bolts out holding the 2 halves together and reverse them so the nut end faces the centre mount and the nuts face the diff end.

jase ek
22nd June 2007, 08:21 PM
im going to try this right now http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

jase ek
22nd June 2007, 10:55 PM
GILLY YOU ARE THE MAN !

Gilly
23rd June 2007, 01:15 AM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif