PDA

View Full Version : Running/Breaking In Engine?

DRFTPG
23rd June 2007, 10:42 PM
Well i have allways beleived in running in engines, and iv heard about many different ways to do it, i found this link (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) and jus wondered what you guys thought of it? got any secrets about running new/rebuilt engines in?

Bustin_86
23rd June 2007, 10:53 PM
Sit it on the limiter for 10 mins :P

A good idea would be to ring a local engine builder and ask them?

shinny
23rd June 2007, 11:29 PM
i've heard a few things like,
-no towing
-drive the car easy for at least 1-3000 kms
-then change the oil straight after

but this completely contradicts what i've been told,
and now i don't know :|

biggo
24th June 2007, 12:22 AM
flog the sit out of it and repeatedly replace the oil. Well thats how i always did it on my motos :)

r3zzz4
24th June 2007, 12:24 AM
The only trick iv heard is to do around 40-60km down empty road, in 4th gear, give it full throttle to just over half max revs then let it slow itself back down to 40km, and keep repeating around 5-6times, basically load up the motor then let it hold the car back. Sounds the same as what that article said so id say he's on the money. After that you should be right to give it the beating of its life... thats all ive heard.
Im no mechanic but I read that in a old engine rebuilding book (courtesy of my mechanic, who knows his stuff!)

DRFTPG
24th June 2007, 11:55 AM
flog the sit out of it and repeatedly replace the oil. Well thats how i always did it on my motos :)[/b]

yeh thats what i did with my moto, revved it hard and then backed off, and repeated, and i know i never had many metals shavings on my magnetic sump plugs and all my friends had almost douple what i had

riceburner
24th June 2007, 02:26 PM
accel full throttle from 40kms to 80kms in 3rd gear.

Dont apply clutch or brakes when you hit 80, just leave it in 3rd till it slows itself to 40 again then hit it again. 4-5 times a day for 3 days. Normal non high rpm driving in between.

Then a change oil and filter and away you go.

Reason.
To apply lots of load to the compression and oil rings. beds them in heaps better. No set of rings is perfectly round/cirmetrical with the bore of the cylinder, so you need the rings to shape to the bore real quick or at least as quick as possible.

Which is what all engines being run in are trying to do anyways.