PDA

View Full Version : changing steering bushes

seek
24th June 2007, 10:29 AM
hey fellas. i need to replace the steering bushings? or bushes? or something along the lines of that...

just wondering, and its a quick question, how much are the parts to replace (ill do it myself despite not knowing what they are atm, lol) and the diffficulty of the job?

cheers guys.

*searching did not yeild.

scott_20valvehachi
24th June 2007, 11:16 AM
they are known as bushes my friend, the parts will vary in price but from memory they shud all be fairly easy to do. just make sure that u dont tighten them right up with the suspension at full travel. make sure u have the car at its ride hieght wen u tighten it all right up.

seek
24th June 2007, 11:23 AM
thanks mate... :)

anyone got a photo, or a dodgy MS-paint drawing of what i should be looking at?

parrot
24th June 2007, 11:46 AM
What are you talking about? The steering rack bushes, or some other suspension bush.

You need to be specific if you want a worthwhile response.

Jonny Rochester
24th June 2007, 12:20 PM
Steering rack bushes: the two slim rubber bits that go around the rack housing itself where the rack is clamped to the crossmember. One is round, the other is a D. These don't reed replacing very often.

Steering rack ends: These are a ball joint. You need to change these sometimes if you have a knock in the steering. They screw onto the end of the rack, and screw into the tie rod adjuster thing.

Steering tie-rod ends: Also a ball joint. It screws into the rack ends, and bolts to the steering arms/knuckles.

Lower control arm bushes: The rubber bushes in the arm, which is bolted to the crossmember. We often replace these with polyurathane not rubber. Get the Nolathane brand ones. You need a press or big bench vise to do this.

Lower control arm outer ball joints: The ball joint towards the outside of the car. The steering arm/knuckle is bolted to this. This joint is also spring loaded and sometimes has a greese nipple. It does not need replacing often. You need a vise and big hammer or press to replace it.

Radius rod bushes: The ones at the front of the car, with a big adjusting nut and washer either side. Get Polyurathane ones. Fairly easy to replace. You just need a big spanner, 22mm?