PDA

View Full Version : 20v Power Kills Drivetrain??...

Dan_AE86
25th June 2007, 09:41 PM
Hey All,

Before the usual flamming begins, YES. i did search and read every article regarding the 20v, etc. but things change, like gearboxes shit them selfs, people wish they did this because, blah blah.

Anyways, Im looking at either doing a 20v ST conversion on my 86 or a 16v, either JDM Bigport (96KW?) or a AE92 100KW smallport..god knows which one!!but that is after my suspension, So the questions are:

- Is a 20v ST that powerful that it is necessary to upgrade G/Box and Diff??i.e. will a ADM T-50 do it?im guna go like a t18 disc or drum later on (LSD not locked!) but hoping a open Series will make it until i save up?

- Also were is the torque band on 20v with a aftermarket computer (tuned, no work.), i drove one (jinjaninja's) with just that and had a alot more than i thought it would down low!!

- Gota be asked do people still believe its worth doing 20v over 16v?? (like i want to get a 20v ST and Loom(guna use a programmable computer), and buy the conversion kit bits from kaizen or whoever does good work at the right price!bolt it all up and do as much as i can, then take it somewere and finish the wiring or watever is left and tune it!!!)

Thanks Guys and Girls,
Dan.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

D0R186
25th June 2007, 09:49 PM
im using standard ae85 diff behind my 20v st and so far its held up well over a few months including a drag day which i did pull some decent sized skids before each run :D seems to be holding up fine

Dan_AE86
25th June 2007, 10:09 PM
im using standard ae85 diff behind my 20v st and so far its held up well over a few months including a drag day which i did pull some decent sized skids before each run :D seems to be holding up fine[/b]

Sweat. Cheers! So have you raced a 16v or compared in anyway?in your opinion (even though it will be biased :P ) 20v worth the extra money?

Dan.

EDIT: "DOR186" is that your current number plate or old one?does it have a Blacktop, coilovers and is white?the guy moving up to brisbane?i saw it at ballina BIG W and took pics and chatted to the guy!noob i think to 86's so i guess you sold it to him??

ae71neo
25th June 2007, 10:13 PM
I got a ST in front of a T-50 with button clutch, and i must say the gearbox isnt doing to badly. Second gears crunches when its cold, but other than that its alright. Standard diff has coped with it all aswell.

haado gei
25th June 2007, 10:22 PM
when both hard tuned a 16v can make just as good power as a 20v.
there is a reason why fomula atlantic engines are 16v head.

Gilly
25th June 2007, 10:48 PM
i've owned both

16v and 20v

my conversion wasn't the best but that car went hard and still does to this day i'm told (Richy's car now) had the speed sensor been connected (needs magical box of electrical trickery) it would have gone better apparantly.

16v went fine as well, it felt punchier lower in the rev range but lacked the topend the 20v had.

if you are getting the conversion done properly i say go the 20v. done properly they are nice and neat, go hard are easy in the eye and very aurally pleasurable :P my mate built a BT 20v KE70 just after i did my ST20v conversion and that car was soo nice and neat.

you'll pay more for the 20v conversion but its money well spent imo

box and diff will be fine they aren't a torquey motor. ZE is a different story.....

biggo
25th June 2007, 11:05 PM
so far my car has done a (very nice) t50 and 2 4.1 CW+P in a t series diff.

Mind you the car is a stock bt with quads

gottago
25th June 2007, 11:07 PM
i got a silvertop in my 86 with t50 box and t18 with 2 way, i drive it pretty hard ( who doesnt??) clutch kicks every drive and the occasional burnout.. everything has held up fine.. if your worried just get a spare box or 2 they are $250 cheap as chips i got spares ready incase one lets go easy as to swap too..

D0R186
26th June 2007, 07:14 AM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=364427)
im using standard ae85 diff behind my 20v st and so far its held up well over a few months including a drag day which i did pull some decent sized skids before each run :D seems to be holding up fine[/b]

Sweat. Cheers! So have you raced a 16v or compared in anyway?in your opinion (even though it will be biased :P ) 20v worth the extra money?

Dan.

EDIT: "DOR186" is that your current number plate or old one?does it have a Blacktop, coilovers and is white?the guy moving up to brisbane?i saw it at ballina BIG W and took pics and chatted to the guy!noob i think to 86's so i guess you sold it to him??
[/b]

na thats not me im from NZ :rolleyes: anyway i havnt really raced one but iv drivin both 16v and 20v 86's, 20'v just seems alot more aggressive up top and alot more power for things to start wheelspinning

yeah i guess it was worth the money altho a redtop with quads and mayby cams would be equally good

jdmcoupe
26th June 2007, 10:38 AM
with my 16v pretty much stock but very fresh, i have snapped one axel.... i do lots of hillclimbs which invovle static burnouts and 5000rpm launchs using semi slicks!!!... and everything else has held up... but i if i had anymore power than that it wouldnt last very long at all

kaibeecee
26th June 2007, 11:02 AM
standard drivetrain will handle it no worries, i've thrashed mine hard for a while without fail

W-series box is always a good upgrade though

upgarage
26th June 2007, 06:26 PM
No. Torque kills gearboxes and 20v's dont have any.

slide86
26th June 2007, 06:54 PM
ive killed a jap t50 which had been thrashed for ages.
and a 4.3 cw+p with my blacktop.

but then agian my car gets rapped and running grippy tyres on 8" wheels doesnt help.

robert nguyen
26th June 2007, 07:06 PM
i got a 20v in my 86.. gearbox is fine.. clutch is gone.. but thats normal
and btw... my mate used to own a sprinter wit plates DOR186..sold it stock as a rock jus wit new springs and shocks...
he saw it again at wakefield earlier this year.. and doesnt sound 4AC anymore haha

rthy
27th June 2007, 01:03 PM
standard drivetrain will handle it no worries, i've thrashed mine hard for a while without fail

W-series box is always a good upgrade though[/b]

why? its extra weight your adding. Aparently it feels like you have a heavy flywheel once you change to one

Dan_AE86
2nd July 2007, 07:36 PM
would a worked 16v kill the gearbox/diff too?anyone killed their's?

i thought a 16v or 20v wouldnt have enough torque to kill the gearbox/diff...even if you give it a thrashing!!

Dan. :2thumbs:

dr1ft-pig
2nd July 2007, 08:00 PM
i absolutely raped a t50 behind my worn out 16v, i blew a diff the 2nd day i owned the car (s series) then another about 3 weeks later, and then another not too far after that

depends on the way u drive it, IMO if u want to have fun in it then u must drive it hard, which i do and shit doesnt hold up for me even with a 16v

which is why i have done 20v with w58 and t series

IMO if u want to do a 20v conversion without driving down the road being hesitant to drive your car hard coz u think u might break something, u must do some kind of w series box and at least a t series diff which im not even sure will put up with what i want to give it

dr1ft-pig
2nd July 2007, 08:02 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=364651)

W-series box is always a good upgrade though[/b]

why? its extra weight your adding. Aparently it feels like you have a heavy flywheel once you change to one
[/b]

w series weighs only about 10 kilo more than the t50, we did the weighing measurements one day as well as weighing a beams 6 speed, cant remember exact figures but it was around 10kg which is well worth it considering u will never break it