PDA

View Full Version : oil on spark plugs

johnny_08
2nd July 2007, 11:39 PM
hey pple,
new problems are great! (y) as said above.
my mechanic mate reckons rings are fuk'd but ive heard there are washer type things under where the plugs go in (like in the head bit?) and these are worn. but like always any input will be greatly appreciated.
cheers
John

PS: this is only on plug no. 2 and 4 only

Javal
2nd July 2007, 11:55 PM
If the oil is on the part of the plug that screws into the motor, then you have busted valve stem seals or piston rings are on their way out.

when these get worse you will notice your car blowing smoke.

However if it is the part of the plug that the ignition lead connects to, then you have an oil leak from your cam cover.

Fin.

johnny_08
3rd July 2007, 02:52 AM
well the cam cover gasket is brand new, and no there is no oil on the top bit, so im guessin i have worn rings/ valve stem seals.
what do u reckon i should do? and what would be cheaper but not dodgy, as i dont have the money for a full rebuild yet.

Nikkojoe
3rd July 2007, 03:22 AM
Do a compression test and see what it reveals. Oil could have leaked down before the cam cover seals were replaced so it could just be that. What was the condition of the electrode like? (ie colour, residue type etc)

johnny_08
3rd July 2007, 03:57 AM
electrode was fine,( looked on the net to see what it should be). nah ive wiped the plugs and put em back in, drove round for a few days and taken them out again and the oil was back on there

Javal
3rd July 2007, 01:54 PM
How much smoke is your motor blowing?

johnny_08
3rd July 2007, 04:45 PM
not much as far as i can see when its in neutral and i rev it, but my mate says when im drivin smoke comes out but i carnt see it

jdmcoupe
3rd July 2007, 04:49 PM
just drive it till it blows up then its new engine time or rebuild time

Javal
3rd July 2007, 04:51 PM
Or just drive it til it dutches out your house on start up.

Thicker oil may help.

Then kgo rebuild.

johnny_08
3rd July 2007, 05:27 PM
oh and just recently, when i reset my jap ecu, stoping, then doin a hill start when cold, it will struggle like the power wont be there? like the car will go really slow! but after that it runs fine?, im thinkin timing?

edit: yea i was thinkin of that jdm :P

Nikkojoe
3rd July 2007, 10:26 PM
oh and just recently, when i reset my jap ecu, stoping, then doin a hill start when cold, it will struggle like the power wont be there? like the car will go really slow! but after that it runs fine?, im thinkin timing?[/b]

Check your MAT sensor. On a cold night mine became an absolute slug after first start off, wouldnt rev and backfired through intake. It got better as i drove, but there would be periods when it would be fine and then no power at all (throttle response completely gone). It first had similar symptons like yours so see if you can source another one.

johnny_08
3rd July 2007, 11:13 PM
do they have mat sensors? if so where are they?

Nikkojoe
3rd July 2007, 11:23 PM
They are located on the intake manifold next to cold start injector (on a bigport rwd 4age manifold).

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/150410.jpg

johnny_08
3rd July 2007, 11:34 PM
oh ok, caue ive seen on toymods (1ggte engine tho) this this thing can get gunked up, is it a metal probe thing inside?or is thta somethin else? thanx for the pic (y)

Nikkojoe
3rd July 2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah they can, i just swapped mine with the one on my old 4age fwd manifold (rwd one had more gunk than the fwd one, none the less i cleaned them both and put the fwd one in). Since changing it, ive never had another problem for about a month now.

johnny_08
4th July 2007, 12:15 AM
cleaned up the probe thing, lots of oil on it, weird for just an intake, gonna see how it goes tomorow, thanx for that

Javal
4th July 2007, 03:46 AM
It will have oil on it because the 4ag (and all other motors with emissions control) run the breather hose from the cam cover back to the intake manifold.

riceburner
5th July 2007, 07:52 PM
It will have oil on it because the 4ag (and all other motors with emissions control) run the breather hose from the cam cover back to the intake manifold.[/b]

Pull that hose off and run to a catch can or coke bottle, its your choice, then block the inlet hole.

Hey presto, no more oil in there.