PDA

View Full Version : Headlights not working..

stinger_007
4th July 2007, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

i have problems.....................

When turning on my headlights, position 1 (parkers) everything works fine.

Position 2 (headlights) don't come on! but the high beam light on the dash does come on. High beams are not on.

Using the stalk, high beams come on in both 'on' positions, (pushed forward) and the flash (pull backwards).

Summing up, headlight do not work when the switch is on, but high beam light in the dash comes on.

Anyone elese had this problem? Could it be the headlight switch?

Need to solve ASAP! Cant drive in the dark!!

Cheers,

Phil

Hen is a total nutcase
4th July 2007, 10:39 AM
I once had my headlights work intermittently due to the switch being iffy. But you are best off tracing things out with a multimeter to find what is really wrong before changing parts.

Hen

stinger_007
4th July 2007, 10:45 AM
soz, forgot to mention no power going to the headlights as well.

May have to pull out the switch to check it......bugger.

WAIT!!!

headlights just came on for a second when tapping (whacking) the side of the switch....

gotta go to work now, will keep playing with it tonight.

RobertoX
4th July 2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah the switches are notorious for failing, you have to do something with the pcb on the back of the switch iirc (search around it has been covered on a couple of different sites/forums). I think the soldered contacts come loose and you have to re-solder them.

My last sprinter used to do it (sometimes at the most inopportune moments like going around a corner or down the freeway) but I never got around to fixing it.

stinger_007
5th July 2007, 11:08 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

turned out that the solder joint behind the steer wheel had fallen off,

AND

The wire (at the other end) had fallen out of the plug under the wheel!

Note for all;

When i pulled off the indicator mount on the steering shaft it turned out that i had
about 6 dodgy solder joints (high beams, indicators)
Recommend anyone that has had troubles remove this, turn it over and have a good look.

Phil