PDA

View Full Version : cooling/heater set up issues

Brenton
5th July 2007, 09:44 PM
Hey,

I've just finished my engine conversion (ae82 16v 4age), got the exhaust done, timing is good, tps is set all that stuff so it's running sweet blah blah blah.
I should add before I start that the temp guage goes off the chart for some reason and the thermo fan hasn't even triggered so it's not over heating.
Anyway I was driving it for a about 15 minutes today and the temp seemed fine, the car was running fairly cool (the thermo fan hadn't triggered). I realised the heater was on so i turned it off and about 5 mins later the car started to smell hot and the thermo fan was consistantly running for the majority of the time(which it normally doesnt) I figured I'd better take it home and see what the problem was. I was driving up a hill keeping the revs below 3k and i heard a loud whistling and then a loud bang and steam poured out from the bonnet. I pulled over and got the car towed the rest of the way home.
At home I found that a heater hose had blown off. This makes me think my cooling setup might be wrong. I've drawn a picture to show you how I've got it set up.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/150493.jpg

If anyone could let me know how they've done their cooling system (I want a heater) or let me know if anything is wrong with mine it would be greatly appreciated. If how I've done the water set up is correct then what could the problem be?

ae71
5th July 2007, 10:04 PM
has the motor been sitting for a while? the thermostat mite be stuffed (not opening properly)?

just a thought

Brenton
5th July 2007, 10:15 PM
I bought the thermostat from a wreckers. The guy who sold it to me reckons it was fairly new. However, we all know most wreckers are dodgey bastards so it might be fucked.

mikewestphoto
5th July 2007, 11:50 PM
From memory, that's how mine is set up.

Mine lost that hose too but probably because I didn't tighten it up enough because I am lazy and in a hard to get to spot.

Delazy
6th July 2007, 12:14 AM
I bought the thermostat from a wreckers. The guy who sold it to me reckons it was fairly new. However, we all know most wreckers are dodgey bastards so it might be fucked.[/b]

why would u buy such a part from the wreckers when they are so available and cheap brand new??

Brenton
6th July 2007, 06:09 AM
I was in the street and the toyota wreckers was across the road and the set up guide I based mine off said to get one from the wreckers, so I thought why not?
If the set up is correct might it be the thermostat then?

Brenton
6th July 2007, 09:37 PM
After some more trouble today I've been thinking about the problem and I think it might be the thermostat.
I decided to flush the water lines out today. I bought some radiator flush from supercheap that you put in and run at idle for 20 mins with the heater on.
Anyway, I got about 10 mins into it and the car was smelling really hot. I heard some hissing and found that one of my heater lines had a small cut in it (another small problem that isn't causing the over heating problem) and water was steaming off the engine. It shouldn't be hot enough after 10 mins at idle to burn you if you held your hand on it for more than a couple of seconds should it?
Now, my thermo fan is thermatically switched and comes on when the temp of the water reaches a certain temp. The thermo fan wasn't running when the engine was that hot. SO, I'm thinking the the thermostat isn't opening and letting water through the radiator?
What do you guys think?

mikewestphoto
6th July 2007, 10:01 PM
Had a look at car just now. I've got back of head going to heater tap and core going to remote thermostat unit. Shouldn't matter though.

good condition shit with engine working properly, the car should be fully warm in 10 minutes(standard radiator). If you have some stupidly large radiator like I've got, you'll be waiting a while.

I don't think my hoses ever get hot enough to burn me. Which hose are you talking about though. If the thermostat isn't opening, one will be hot and the other will be cool. Check that.

Nikkojoe
7th July 2007, 01:29 AM
My hose goes from back of head to heater tap and heater outlet pipe (no.2) going to remote thermostat. I just followed what the old 4ac had :)

Switch the hoses around and see what happens

Brenton
7th July 2007, 10:32 AM
Ok. Thanks for the help. I'll give that a shot today and let you know how it goes.

ke70dave
7th July 2007, 10:34 AM
take the teromostat out completely, then see how it goes, it should run really really really really cool, and then buy a new thermostat (just cause they are cheap)

note. never buy a thermostat 2nd hand:P, they are extremely crucial to the opperation of cooling system, pluss they are really cheap anyway

note #2: you can test your thermostat, stick it in a cup of boiling water, you should see it opening up if its ok, and if its not ok it wont open at all

Brenton
7th July 2007, 09:50 PM
Fixed the issue. Hoses were connected wrong. I'm so glad that it was as simple as that. I was expecting to have to spend more than 20 bucks for some heater hose. Thanks so much for your help guys :)