PDA

View Full Version : help with my car ( PROBLEM SOLVED)

dirty_86
8th July 2007, 11:07 PM
Car: 1983 toyota sprinter
Engine: silvertop 20v
computer:standard
fuel system: carbi lift pump to a surge tank fed to engine through a VL ( non turbo) fuel pump

as i was driving back home from oran park after a turn the car started missing and sounded like a lawn mower when i tried to accelerate.
i thought i ran out of fuel so i put some fuel in.. started it and it sounded like a lawn mower again try rev'd it just died.. and now it just cranks.. car got towed home :angry:

if anyone has any ideas on what it could possibly be help would be much appreciated..

cheers

jace

Javal
8th July 2007, 11:23 PM
Check ignition system. I.e. plugs / leads / ignition module(s)

dr1ft-pig
8th July 2007, 11:57 PM
timing??? bolt could have come loose and timing may have retarded

Hen is a total nutcase
9th July 2007, 12:44 PM
Lawnmower/WRX sound usually means you are firing on only 3 cylinders. If you can get it started try removing leads one at a time to see if you can find which cylinder isn't firing. THen investigate further, check plugs, leads, dizzy cap etc.

Hen

spoon
9th July 2007, 01:34 PM
if you're running a dli system, could be one of the igniter outputs from the computer isnt working which is likely caused by a loose connection... otherwise check the stuff already meantioned - its almost definately ignition related by the sounds of it

andru_g
9th July 2007, 07:34 PM
lol sounds lyk my 20v... doesnt wanna start anymore.. jus cranks

did all the usual checks and now im lookin for another stock ecu as one of the capacitors dropped its guts on the circuitboard.. not sure if thats the reason why mine shit it self though lol

dirty_86
10th July 2007, 09:42 PM
did a compression test 175 to each clylinder.. leads are fine the plugs are new iriduim plugs none are fouled there look normal.. im leading towards a fuel pump problem..

Javal
10th July 2007, 11:02 PM
Did you check the coil(s) / DLI?

Loose / disconnected wire will make her conk out quick smart.

deanoo
11th July 2007, 09:37 PM
check if there is power going to your fuel pump if not follow the wire going towards your computer and you should find your problem check if the wire is crimped tight and is making a good connection

dirty_86
14th July 2007, 12:11 AM
PROBLEM FOUND!

ok after eastern creek it being so bumpy.. and rocks flying everywhere and shit.. the wire to the lift pump which is underneath the car had ripped when i turned a corner musta torn it.. so problem solved guys! now making a cover plate!..

thanks guys for all the help! appreciated!