PDA

View Full Version : Generic Fog Lights - What and Where to get?

li21
9th July 2007, 10:13 PM
Hi all,

Im wanting to get a set of amber/yellow jdm style light fog lights for my ae86.
Where is a good place to get them and how much would I be looking at?

I saw a set at Supercheap for $30. From what I see its the right color.. yellow and it looks like its pretty light weight.
But seems too cheap to b e any good?
Anyone tried these?

Also I have ADM light housing.. I run philips blue vision which dont do jack.
They are dim as. Has anyone tried Plus 50's in an ADM housing?

roadsailing
9th July 2007, 10:22 PM
is it foggy where you are? i think ill experiment with driving lights again.

as for headlights, i ran narva special white or someshit globes, standard power (60/55 watt) and they made a huge difference to visibility.

i am thinking of getting higher powered lights this time around, but have heard this can melt headlight bits (adjustment is already buggered anyway as with most sprinters)

first of all im just going to rewire the headlight power leads, the standard thin leads lose a lot of power tha would be better used by the globes (in simple terms) and use the white globes. after that i might try higher power globes.

li21
9th July 2007, 11:54 PM
I keep getting mixed up with fog and drivign lights..
Isnt the term used interchangably?
I jsut want a bright yellow/amber colored light like on the new lexuses.

What Bulbs did you use before? Do you know the model of the ones you used that were good?

Driftspec
9th July 2007, 11:59 PM
Do you mean like the JDM yellow lights, as on the inside of the driving lights?

I believe they can be mounted next to ADM headlights, depending on how good you are with welding and cutting skills, the degree of difficulty may change.

Although, mounting them down on the front bar would look attractive. I've thought of getting a set of those yellow foggies (or something similar/high quality) and placing them on the front bar where the little cut outs are - not for the Takumi factor, purely so that I can see at night. And they wouldn't look too bad. Only hassle with doing that is the wiring, relays, and switches needing to be installed - not a favourite job of mine.

li21
10th July 2007, 12:03 AM
Do you mean like the JDM yellow lights, as on the inside of the driving lights?

I believe they can be mounted next to ADM headlights, depending on how good you are with welding and cutting skills, the degree of difficulty may change.

Although, mounting them down on the front bar would look attractive. I've thought of getting a set of those yellow foggies (or something similar/high quality) and placing them on the front bar where the little cut outs are - not for the Takumi factor, purely so that I can see at night. And they wouldn't look too bad. Only hassle with doing that is the wiring, relays, and switches needing to be installed - not a favourite job of mine.[/b]

Thats what i meant!
My grille although JDM, doesnt have the holes for lights so i need to mount on the front bad. But not sure what to get:)

li21
25th August 2007, 08:07 PM
Okay so I just bought a set of Philips Vision Plus 50's and they are a total waste in my car. They perform marginally better than stock or the blue visions.
My ADM light housing is just not gonna give me any better light. Its almost dangerous to the point i cant see road markings and keep crossing lanes.

I NEED foggies..
Can anyone recommend some foggies/driving lights, not for the levin grille.. just the sort that i can clamp onto the front bar.
Ive seen loads of cars with them on, from echos to pulsars.. the really brigh and very yellow sort..
Anyone know where I can get em?

as mentioned before supercheap had a yellow retangular fog set for $30, but theres no more :(

Driftspec
25th August 2007, 11:43 PM
Normally Repco, Supercheap or Autobarn have fog light kits that are fairly easy to install, although I can't say I've done it myself (normally wiring, relays etc need to be put in as well).

Just remember the legalities regarding fog lights, generally they are not allowed to be used unless there is fog or adverse driving conditions, at the risk of blinding other drivers. Extra Diving lights can be fitted next to or near the headlights, but can only be activated when high beam is selected. I believe this also applies to the extra Levin-style driving lights, as they are extras not specified by the manufacturer :(

On a thread-hijack angle, one of my driving lights has blown (driving to a friends place last night was interested, cyclonic rain and wind with only one headlight FTL), so I'm going to replace them with some (hopefully) better lights. I'll take your advice on the Phillips globes, I'll have to see if there are any other globes that provide good lighting. I think the only way I'm going to do it is through trial and error, so we'll see tommorrow :D

yoshimitsu9
26th August 2007, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

Also I have ADM light housing.. I run philips blue vision which dont do jack.
They are dim as. Has anyone tried Plus 50's in an ADM housing?[/b]

i run the phillips crystal vision and they totally kick the ass out of standard globes. there a lot of money just to go buying to find out which one you like. but they get the 2 thumbs up from me :2thumbs: and FYI the diamond vision are totally illegal

Oly AE86
29th August 2007, 09:57 PM
Well, just this weekend I installed JDM Kouki Headlights.

From ADM lights with the Phillips Blue Vision Bulb (4000k - Road Legal), to the JDM light with the same Phillips Bulb, a MASSIVE improvement.

The JDM lights actually focus the beam to a point infront of the car, no more lighting up Australia, just the road ahead.

Getting HID's next week, should get better again.

I also have JDM Fog lights, 35W with STD Yellow bulbs, they have little light output and no real focusing either. They just look cool. :)

Oly

Driftspec
29th August 2007, 11:26 PM
I have been playing around with my lights, I plan on doing a write-up about adjustment of ADM lights, got mine working damn fine right now. Need another week or so to do some fine adjustment of the beams.

Admittedly, if available JDM are the go, and the HID lights are ultimately the most effective solution (as long as they are pointed in the right direction).