PDA

View Full Version : advanced timing

johnny_08
10th July 2007, 03:11 PM
hey pple , i tried advancing my timing by turning the dizzy towards the front of the car all the way (like till it hit the end of the bracket) and it doesnt ping up hills under load, is there somethin wrong, or can i advance it even more?

riceburner
10th July 2007, 06:47 PM
hey pple , i tried advancing my timing by turning the dizzy towards the front of the car all the way (like till it hit the end of the bracket) and it doesnt ping up hills under load, is there somethin wrong, or can i advance it even more?[/b]

Go more, but you really should do it as per the manual. As in warming engine up, shorting the 2 terminals etc etc.

ke70dave
10th July 2007, 08:25 PM
yeah and using a timing light!! so you actually know what your setting it to, i dunno what engine you got, but stock 16V can have about -24 deg timing at idle (from what ive heard, better check that)

timing lights are expensive, but they are well worth it (about 60$)

johnny_08
10th July 2007, 10:30 PM
i have a bigport, with jap ecu (if that matters), not sure how u read timing lights. Also the car seems to struggle a bit when starting up agian

SLO-030
10th July 2007, 10:49 PM
If it is hard to start then the timing is too far advanced. Sounds the same as a flat battery but still starts

johnny_08
10th July 2007, 11:10 PM
yea sounds like that // i guess i should just retatd it till it starts normal?

SLO-030
10th July 2007, 11:44 PM
Get/steal/buy/brough a timing light is perfered but up to you which way you do it. I have set heaps of GEs up to 20degrees without the 2 pins bridged (15degrees bridged) and they have not had any problems.

johnny_08
11th July 2007, 01:27 AM
i guess the 4age manual shows you how to read a timing light? or can you just see numbers on the belt?

squish
11th July 2007, 02:48 PM
you probaly have a knock sensor so when you advance it heaps it just retards it back a lot further and slowly go back to that setting and then back of again etc.