PDA

View Full Version : 4age bigport running crap

slidn70
20th July 2007, 04:31 PM
Hi guys, I have a bigport aw11 in my corolla. it has a fwd manifold cut and shut. I blocked off the pcv ventilation that goes to the t/be and I have a breather on the cam cover for the moment.

I put a new timing belt on and my cams and crank gear all line up on TDC. I set the timing with T & E1 shorted and with the dissy turned all the way to the side I have timing around 5degrees! Which timing mark on the crank are you meant to go off? there are three cut out marks. the mark to the far right reads 5degrees. The car idles alright, not great. but it has no power to drive the car. it bogs down heaps and pretty much wont move. If I rev it in neutral, it build revs slowly. it's not responsive at all. It also backfires and pops from the exhaust,in the exhaust manifold it sounds like.

It's running a VL bosch pump inline.

On the efi fuel filter it's labelled "out" on one end. should that be directed towards the fuel rail (motor) or the fuel tank?

Edit: I thought I should add that my oil pressure light is flickering on the dash when the engine runs. it flicks on for half a sec when I turn the ignition on. on the 4k it use to stay on until the engine started. I'm not sure if this means the sender is gone or infact I'm not getting any oil pressure!

Now I appolgies for this post. Everything is everywhere, and probably hard to understand, but I'm really stuck atm. I want this thing running properly. :(

any questions, just ask. if you have any links to similar issues then can you post them up please. thanks

rthy
20th July 2007, 05:48 PM
is the engine running at all? if so try to record a video and put it on youtube

slidn70
20th July 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah it runs Leo. good idea I will get a clip of it to show everyone. BTW I remember you had a problem with your f/filter in backwards. if "out" is pointing towards the fuel rail is that right?

mikewestphoto
20th July 2007, 09:06 PM
in from tank, out to rail.

wind more timing into it.

slidn70
20th July 2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks Ken, with the dissy fitted at TDC (the two holes lined up on the dissy gear), I have the dissy turned ALL the way up ?(clockwise?) it physically can't move any further and I'm only getting 5degrees. on the crank pulley there is 3 indentations " I I I " sort of looks like that. it's 5degrees at the far right mark.

fuel filter is in the right way which is good! :)

mikewestphoto
20th July 2007, 09:46 PM
Does it pull hard when you get to ~4400rpm or is it shit everywhere?

slidn70
20th July 2007, 09:53 PM
I can't drive it out of the driveway. it's got no pull at all. on a flat it might move. if I rev it in neutral it builds revs but slowly. slower than the 4k. it backfires in the manifold sometimes too, which makes me think it's the timing aswell.

mikewestphoto
20th July 2007, 10:03 PM
I don't know if this is going to help but which notch on the crank pulley did you use as zero degrees?

It should be the one on the left if the post coming off the block is at the centre of the three grooves. If you took zero as the right one, both cam gears will be out one tooth in relation to crank and the distributor will also be one tooth off.

Medicine_Man
20th July 2007, 10:12 PM
You still using the AW11 distributer?

slidn70
20th July 2007, 10:30 PM
when cyl #1 is at TDC and you can see the indent in the inlet cam through the oil cap it linrs up with the 1st crank markings and the pin coming off the tensioner bolt. the crank gear and both cam pulleys line up with the appropriate markings in that position.

Medicine man - I think I have a ae82 or ae86 dizzy. it has the heatshield on the bottom. it's not an aw11 I'm pretty sure. Leo (rthy) should know what it's off because I got it from him.

screech
21st July 2007, 01:01 AM
was the engine running fine before all this happened?? have the simple things like plugs and leads been checked?
sorry not trying to sound rude.

from what I remember the crank is easy to get TDC. pull #1 sparky out and use a long screwdriver on the piston feeling for up and down movement. this will give a very good idea of where the crankshaft is. then see where your timing marks are on the cam gears.

from memory of building my bigport there are two marks on the cam gears, use the dots closer to the belt surface of the gears, (these two dots are only 1 cam tooth apart, the other dot should be on the face of the gear itself, it may be whats causing your problem). if your marks are still lined correctly try just pulling the dizzy out and going back or forth 1 tooth and see how that goes.

has worked for me on several occasions, hope this helps.

slidn70
21st July 2007, 07:26 PM
was the engine running fine before all this happened?? have the simple things like plugs and leads been checked?
sorry not trying to sound rude.

from what I remember the crank is easy to get TDC. pull #1 sparky out and use a long screwdriver on the piston feeling for up and down movement. this will give a very good idea of where the crankshaft is. then see where your timing marks are on the cam gears.

from memory of building my bigport there are two marks on the cam gears, use the dots closer to the belt surface of the gears, (these two dots are only 1 cam tooth apart, the other dot should be on the face of the gear itself, it may be whats causing your problem). if your marks are still lined correctly try just pulling the dizzy out and going back or forth 1 tooth and see how that goes.

has worked for me on several occasions, hope this helps.[/b]

Nah mate, your not being rude at all. I appreciate any help :)

I have not seen the engine running before this. it was brought from a jap wrecker that was sent over on a crate.

It has brand new NGK copper plugs/dissy cap/rotor button and Topgun leads.

The crank is definately on TDC. everything lines up spot on and I put a screwdriver in cyl 1 and it's definately on the top of it's stroke.

I have found out since that there are two different dissy cap's part no listings. one for a blue top 86-89 and one for a red top 87-91? I have a blue top motor and I brought a bluetop dissy cap, but I'm unsure what dissy I have because it's not the one that came with my motor.

If I post a pic of the cap, could someone identify it for me? the ND part no: is worn off it, so no part number..

slidn70
24th July 2007, 06:59 PM
I fixed the oil gauge from flashing. brought a new sender and it's fixed now. one problem down, more to go!

going to try and fiddle with the dissy timing tomorrow and see if I can get it running any better.

when setting the timing to 10degrees BTDC which mark on the crank should I have lining up "10" on the scale?

there are 3 marks " I I I " . the marks are called "AW, AE and AT"

rthy
24th July 2007, 07:17 PM
hmm not to sure which dizzy it is now come to think of it, I bought it off a guy who owns AW11's but he said it came of a bigport 4age.
and yeah arrow towards fuel rail.

mikewestphoto
24th July 2007, 11:22 PM
AW AE and AT are cars. you should be looking at the AW section if you have a aw11 engine.

Mark to the left is 0 deg and should be on this one when the distributor is inserted into the head.

slidn70
25th July 2007, 06:36 PM
AW AE and AT are cars. you should be looking at the AW section if you have a aw11 engine.

Mark to the left is 0 deg and should be on this one when the distributor is inserted into the head.[/b]

Ahh yep.. didnt click that AW,AT,AE where the models of car's. *slaps myself in the head*. well I was going off the AW mark.

I got the car running today somehow with the timing way off. I drove it to the workshop around the corner and the old guy had a look at it for me. the timing belt is off one tooth on each cam. (I wont name what workshop refitted the belt for me last...they are in bayswater though)

I will fix that over the next couple of days and let you guys know how I go. :) thanks for the help guys. really appreciate it.