PDA

View Full Version : help with my speedo

deanoo
21st July 2007, 06:18 PM
I got my speedo working last night driving along went over a couple of bumps and it stopped working everthing seems to be connected..

but I have noticed there is a ticking noise coming from the back of my dash where the speedo cable connects to and when I go faster the ticking gets faster and the same when I go slower

does anyone have any ideas what it could be???

Dillon Mac
21st July 2007, 06:25 PM
Them speed bumps are nasty.. Same with kerbs.. I move a motion to dig up all kerbs and speed bumps.. Taken the dash apart yet? Find someone thats a sparky to look at it/into it for you

My guess is a nasty bump has knocked a cog or gear out of place or something? but then again I'm an idiot apparently so don't listen to me lol

dustyae86
21st July 2007, 06:53 PM
Them speed bumps are nasty.. Same with kerbs.. I move a motion to dig up all kerbs and speed bumps.. Taken the dash apart yet? Find someone thats a sparky to look at it/into it for you

My guess is a nasty bump has knocked a cog or gear out of place or something? but then again I'm an idiot apparently so don't listen to me lol[/b]

it's pretty normal the wire at the back gets a bit clapped out internally but it should still work?? you cable is either snapped or your speedo drive is seized

TYRAEL
21st July 2007, 06:54 PM
Gday mate, it could be a few things but it depends if you have had the dash out or not? if not it could be the inner speedo cable has snapped or the gaers in the speedo head have packed it in! the other thing it could be is the cable isn't clipped into the back of the dash correctly! if it has a ticking it suggests that the gear box is turning the speedo gear! good luck champ!!!!! :2thumbs:

parrot
21st July 2007, 11:06 PM
I'm with Tyrael. I am guessing the clip in the back of the speedo has popped out, possibly you didn't fit it properly as it is a bit fiddly. Clearly the ticking noise suggests the cable is turning, it just isn't inserted into the back of the speedo.

ae71
22nd July 2007, 12:23 AM
also while you have it out give it a little squirt of wd40 or the likes, too keep it nice and freed up.

deanoo
22nd July 2007, 01:45 PM
thanx boys for all your help I think I'm going to go with taking the dash out and see how I go
whats the best way of taking the dash out???

dustyae86
22nd July 2007, 03:30 PM
thanx boys for all your help I think I'm going to go with taking the dash out and see how I go
whats the best way of taking the dash out???[/b]

DASH OUT!!!! nah buddy it's not that bad lol on the instrument cluster surround there is 2 screws in the top bit then take out your wipers and headlight switch and under there theres 2 17mm nuts undo these then it comes out from memory, then there is 4 screws and 2 plugs holding your cluster in undo the screws, you shouldn't have to undo the wiring plugs then poull it out and you will styaright away see what everyone is tlkaing about

deanoo
22nd July 2007, 06:57 PM
I got the dash out and the cable looks like it's connected but it turns freely by finger is that whats sipposed ot happen??? and when I turn the speedo cable behind the cluster thats where the ticking noise is coming from
I check the speedo drive on the gearbox thats all connected..

any ideas??

parrot
22nd July 2007, 07:10 PM
Despite looking like it is in, it may not be properly engaged. It is a bit hard to explain but you need to make sure the pawls on the outer ring are lined up and engaged properly then push home the cable.

deanoo
23rd July 2007, 06:00 PM
how do I make sure the pawls on the outer ring is lined up and engaged??? and your talking bout the speedo behind the cluster not the one on the gearbox correct???

ae71
23rd July 2007, 06:28 PM
yes he is

deanoo
23rd July 2007, 09:52 PM
kkk so is there like a certain way you have to put the speedo so it can engage with the outa ring????