PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake conversion bits for T, S series drum brake diffs.

Hen is a total nutcase
23rd July 2007, 01:57 PM
I have two sets of disc brake conversion parts for drum braked diffs. This definitely fits T series diffs. Reports indicate that they will also fit S, E, F (live axle) diffs too.

Single piston, 280mm solid disc. Awesome internal drum handbrake. Alloy backing plate.

Included is:
- Calipers with pads and flexi brake hose section with all fittings
- Backing plate with handbrake assembly and handbrake cables
- Good thickness discs.

Price is $200 for the calipers and backing plates. We'll throw in the discs free if you want them.

Photos below show the parts included.
http://homepage.mac.com/robinjp/.Pictures/disc.jpg

$200 pickup in Melbourne (North eastish) or add postage to your door (around $20 registered without discs, $40 if you want the discs too as this takes the package over 20kg)

Hen

dustyae86
23rd July 2007, 02:47 PM
is this corona stuff??

Hen is a total nutcase
23rd July 2007, 02:54 PM
Yes.

ae71
23rd July 2007, 06:12 PM
and it bolts straight up to aus spec t-series diffs... with the kit you are providing..?

dose it change the brake balance..?

Hen is a total nutcase
23rd July 2007, 06:24 PM
All bolts up to the diff.

To get the whole setup running you need to:
- Fit a 5mm spacer ring (slice of pipe) outboard of the wheel bearing or get the Corona bearing retainer plates.
- Move shock mounts 10mm inboard
- Shorten handbrake cable. Or use a SV11 handbrake cable front section.

Yes, it gives you rear bias if fitted with no other changes. Opening the factory brake bias block and removing the spring will solve this problem.

Hen

riojin
23rd July 2007, 07:32 PM
Yes, it gives you rear bias if fitted with no other changes. Opening the factory brake bias block and removing the spring will solve this problem.[/b]

what kind of bias will be given after you have removed this spring? will it work the rear brakes at all then? please elaborate

rthy
23rd July 2007, 09:02 PM
if it's anything to go by I am using the same disks with calipers that appear very simular and I have done the brake bias controller modification and it pulls up great with good rear bias, just about perfect infact

dr1ft-pig
23rd July 2007, 11:02 PM
will I have to modify anything to fit this on jdm t series??? (kouki)?? if not ill but a set on wednesday

dr1ft-pig
23rd July 2007, 11:05 PM
and why do you have to move shock mounts over?? too much offset on rotor?

Hen is a total nutcase
24th July 2007, 11:03 AM
You need to move mounts because the shock can foul on the caliper body. It's only a matter of a few mm.

These should fit a Kouki diff if it was originally DRUM brake. Disc diffs have a different bolt spacing around the diff flange and so wont fit. You can check to see if the bearing retainer plate is the same on your diff and T18/RA40/RA60 to be sure.

As Q-boy has said, removing the spring from the factory splitter block just changes the biasing. Bias is generally much better for 4 wheel discs after this.

Hen

ae86_Guy
24th July 2007, 11:10 AM
What are the benefits of this over the T18 drums?

Hen is a total nutcase
24th July 2007, 12:25 PM
What are the benefits of this over the T18 drums?[/b]
None whatsoever.... unless you enjoy the use of your rear brakes for more than 5 minutes of hard driving.

JHS - Yes, cutting and rewelding is the best way to move the mounts. Iif you want a set get in touch with your details and we can sort it out.

bahnugget
24th July 2007, 01:34 PM
Hen, I'm interested.. Just wondering what model corona are these off mate? RT142 by chance?

Hen is a total nutcase
24th July 2007, 01:40 PM
ST141 or RT142. Live axle.

Trucka 115
24th July 2007, 07:56 PM
ill buy one set pm me your details an ill transfer the money tonight, is it ok for them to be posted to nsw. will I be able to put another caliper on these so I can run an individual hand brake caliper. thanks

Hen is a total nutcase
25th July 2007, 02:44 AM
Trucka - Postage is fine. $40 for the lot, registered, to NSW.

You would be hard pressed to fit another caliper on there for a hydro handbrake. However give the stock internal drum a try. They are really, really good.

Hen

ghetto ke
25th July 2007, 01:51 PM
You need to move mounts because the shock can foul on the caliper body. It's only a matter of a few mm.[/b]

could this be overcome by perhaps reversing the mounts or swapping L to R (redrilling holes?) therefore mounting the calipers at the front side of the diff?

Hen is a total nutcase
25th July 2007, 03:05 PM
It may be possible to flip sides to clear the shock, but the handbrake cables will then point the wrong way.

ghetto ke
25th July 2007, 03:22 PM
I guess it would be easier to mod handbrake cables then shock mounts tho

Hen is a total nutcase
25th July 2007, 03:37 PM
Not in my opinion. Moving the shock mounts would take an hour for both sides with angle grinder and welder.

Changing the handbrake would require a total redesign of how it attaches/moves the handbrake But it is an option.

Hen is a total nutcase
26th July 2007, 11:24 AM
One set sold. One still available.

ghetto ke
26th July 2007, 01:31 PM
Does this include the drum brake mechanism/shoes or just uses original T-series one inside new disk?