PDA

View Full Version : 2zzge 2zzgze 2zzgte swaps?

riojin
23rd July 2007, 08:54 PM
as you may know the newest performance 4 cylinder by toyota is the 2zzge (2zzgze for supercharged, 2zzgte for turbocharged... duh). has anyone ever seen or heard of one of these engines going into an ae86? does anyone know how much the engine and/or conversions cost?

Jonny Rochester
23rd July 2007, 09:02 PM
Very few RWD conversions have been done. And most of the RWD conversions have been in clubmans, sometimes using weird gearboxes. Some of the clubman kit companies have a belhousing prototype made. I have not heard of superchanged or turbo ones from the factory. I don't think there is any AE86 in Australia finnished with a 2ZZ-GE.

So basicaly you just have to do if yourself.

Bustin_86
23rd July 2007, 09:20 PM
as you may know the newest performance 4 cylinder by toyota is the 2zzge (2zzgze for supercharged, 2zzgte for turbocharged... duh). has anyone ever seen or heard of one of these engines going into an ae86? does anyone know how much the engine and/or conversions cost?[/b]

As Johnny said these convo's have only been performend in clubmans so far, there is a bellhousing that can be brought of the shelf for rwd and some type of ford box is used from memory..... I've looked into this convo and am going to atempt it in the future.... the std 2zzge dosent suit turboing with it 11.5:1 comp but with a blitz supercharger kit they pump out around 240hp I've only herd of these cars lasting up to 1000k's with this setup so far.......

The convo includes crazy mount set as there only ment for fwd and there are a list of problems to overcome.....

BUT the engine has shit loads of potential and the only supercharged version from factory comes in a Lotus Exige they pump out 200rkw and get to 60mph in 4.88 secs while weighing in at 944kg. And the engine is around 114kg std 2zz ge and/A.

One word though the only after market management that can run the 2zz-ge is top of the line motec's and the blitz kit comes with a remapped std comp....

BTW- This is'nt Justin... it's Justin's mate.

riojin
23rd July 2007, 10:44 PM
I wish I had the funds to make it happen.......

.......waits....................

nope nothing. oh well tomorrow is another day

LordNafe
23rd July 2007, 10:53 PM
I'm pretty sure someone has done it in the US..... I seriously considered it for a while, but gave up on the idea. It coudl be done, but I guesstimated minimum $6k without the engine to do it. It wouldn't be cheap.
Toyota never released a force fed version. From what I've read the rods aren't particularly tough, so force feeding it might end in death.
It's a really cool idea, and I did a fair bit of research, but couldn't find enough info to warrant trying.

kaibeecee
23rd July 2007, 11:38 PM
easier/cleaner/better to just go 3s-gte

keep a W series box
turbo options
aftermarket out of the ring hole

done plenty so the knowledge is out there

Driftspec
23rd July 2007, 11:47 PM
I like the idea, those engines rock. And it's a more modern engine to put in the car. As for upgrade/installation options, it would be interesting to see it happen. Suffice to say it won't be me :)

Might be worth checking engine dimensions and cooling options first too.

Gavin
24th July 2007, 03:43 PM
just some more info for ya
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index...mp;#entry344093 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=15165&st=0&p=344093&#entry344093)

Driftspec
24th July 2007, 11:24 PM
Nice find.

it's got me thinking, as I remember driving a Corolla with one of those engines in it... got the thrill of my life (at the time). A rev-happy motor in a Sprinter like that would be a very interesting prospect.

I would be very interested to see what the car with that engine would be like on the street (with the narrow powerband). The other attractive thing is that it is a newer motor would hold up for longer, and there would be a few more development/tuning opportunities available. A very nice prospect indeed :)

riojin
25th July 2007, 09:52 PM
I hear the powerband is fine if you don't mind shifting. you practically stay in it after you shift into the higher gear. the main problem is top gear where you hit the limiter pretty early so top speed isn't very high..... but I'm not into that anyway.

ae71
26th July 2007, 12:37 AM
the vvti seems to come on a bit late, it would be good if it can be moved forward with a programmable ecu...

haado gei
26th July 2007, 11:54 AM
aparently it is hard to keep it in lift form 1st to 2nd according to my friend.

polynesian
19th August 2008, 12:50 AM
yeah my mate when he goes hard from 1st to second he can't make the cahnge at all

he seriously has to double clutch and then he might make the connection

its a bonus if he gets in lift from first to second..

but.............the reason why is the clutch my mate did the research toyota went hard out

in engine but when it came to the clutch plate they couldnt be stuffed i guess.

so yeah thats what i know i might be 100% bull shit but ive heard this from a fair few people so ill believ it for now.

Konakid
19th August 2008, 12:58 PM
The 2Z is flawed from factory, the ratio's in both the Celica and Lotus were never close enough to drop back into the angry cam on gear change, one of the main downfalls. High Cam is at 6200 and it revs to 7900? Below that journos said it was breathless.

Jonny Rochester
19th August 2008, 06:49 PM
I believe the dealership armed with a Toyota "Inteligence Tester" can plug into the ECU and change a bunch of settings, including when the second cam profiles work. This would fix that problem if it could be done.