PDA

View Full Version : The Levin to Trueno conversion..

Dillon Mac
24th July 2007, 12:36 AM
I've been thinking for quite a while now, ADM Sprinter and if I decide to go for one, wanna get it done before my paintjob.. Btw has anyone done it and had first hand experience.. Any problems encountered I may need to look for if I do it.. Cause I'm no sparky.. Or panel beater.. I also heard that I will need a new Rad Support to fit a JDM Trueno Bumper to my car.. My current rad support is mangled so if I do fix it up should I fit another rad support from another car to work with a Trueno Bumper? Any cars use the same rad support if so?

I also should ask does it look good when done properly? Cause I may not have the resources to hunt down Trueno tail lights and so on straight away, but then I'm only fussed about the front lights anyway.. I asked about this earlier but I am really after an opininion this time wether it's worth it or not..

Thanks for your opinions for those that leave any..

pebbles
24th July 2007, 12:40 AM
it looks good, you don't need the rear, because the rear looks the same,
so if uve got money to blow on a trueno front and paint job, why not blow it on a 4ag?
just wondering

riojin
24th July 2007, 12:41 AM
it's a straight bolt on/wire up. ae86hachiroku has a conversion kit on here for sale for 2g's. all you need is the relays which you can order from toyota.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index...t=0&start=0 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=16209&st=0&start=0)

I personally think truenos are ugly but each to their own

pebbles
24th July 2007, 12:45 AM
I used to think trueno's wer fugly
but nowadays I like em more than levin fronts,
wow 2 grand, I guess that sounds about right,
lights should be pretty simple, you shouldnt have to cut up your dash anyway

Dillon Mac
24th July 2007, 12:50 AM
I'm wondering about switchs and buttons that go on the dash or does it wire up to the norm ADM headlight/parker switch? Cause I don't think ADM sprinters would have come with little holes you can poke your fingers through that were ment for Trueno flip lights lol

No I'm a bit short on cash but saving atm.. Was asking before I blow my next bundle on a paint job if I should get the Trueno conversion first.. $2g is still a bit expensive for me, I have expensive rust problems on my flare and door jams not including my new axle problem.. But this is my speculations atm

pebbles
24th July 2007, 12:56 AM
hmm, fix diff, get s series, fix motor, it might not be that screwed, may just be out of time/in need of a bit of reconditioning.
then drive the thing!....slowly, we don't want to get ahead of ourselves now do we
in the mean time, spend a bit of cash on making it look a lil nicer, asin rust!
and use "Google" and the search option on this site to find information about 4age swaps
then 4age it!

Dillon Mac
24th July 2007, 12:58 AM
A 4age will be going in.. But I want it to look respectable (paint) and before paint is the conversion.. a 4AC is fine enough for me until I get the guts and the knowledge to attempt a engine swap.. I'm no mechanic either but I can fit tyres!

I've now gone to bed.. Will check topic tommorrow arvo

slide86
24th July 2007, 01:05 AM
AJPS has all the parts you need as there is a trueno there that is being parted out, you can get all the parts you need to do it properly.

or just buy the whole car minus the parts that are already off it

jdmcoupe
24th July 2007, 01:24 AM
there is a tech question section for a reason can you please use it in future...

thank you

thread moved

ashie
24th July 2007, 09:42 AM
until I get the guts and the knowledge to attempt a engine swap.. I'm no mechanic either but I can fit tyres![/b]

it's not that hard, you can't really f**k any thing up, get a few mates and you will have it in in a hour or so, just the hard thing is getting some on to wire it all up.

I can't fit tyres but I put a t motor in a car that came with a k motor and it wasn't hard at all,

I was short on funds so it took me ages :P

seek
24th July 2007, 10:53 AM
see what happends when you post detailed questions? with some evidence that you have looked into it prior posting this thread? people give good answers back :)

I know nothing about treuno lights. but just my 2c....

kaibeecee
24th July 2007, 11:02 AM
it seems every month this question gets asked by kids that get too far ahead of themselves.

to be brutally honest - spend your money on things more worth your while, like coilovers, or brakes. because when you're out driving recklessly, and crash into things, which by the sounds of it is a prior experience for you, an expensive front end is more of a loss than a gain.

it's a bit more than a 'bolt on' affair too by the way. it's not cheap to modify/scratch build the body loom

86xxx
24th July 2007, 12:32 PM
Once again, Dillon Mac getting far too ahead of his capabilities, possibilities, practicalities and dreams. it's been said before, buy a hyundai and get lost, or shut up, read and research before posting something thats already been written up many times before, and keep on the low low. 295 odd posts in just over a month, all full of shit! Just making yourself look like a real knob.

riojin
24th July 2007, 12:50 PM
Once again, Dillon Mac getting far too ahead of his capabilities, possibilities, practicalities and dreams. it's been said before, buy a hyundai and get lost, or shut up, read and research before posting something thats already been written up many times before, and keep on the low low. 295 odd posts in just over a month, all full of shit! Just making yourself look like a real knob.[/b]
we all thought it

GAKI86
24th July 2007, 01:09 PM
yes make very well use of this forums, theres a thing called "search". seek and you will be enlightened..

google is a powerful tool keep in mind you must...

spoon feeding is what the mods think it's homosexually gay..

so yeah..........

electric mic
24th July 2007, 01:12 PM
Hey Dillon,

I looked into this myself not long ago and Pm'd a few of the guys who had done it or had the parts. As usual everyone I spoke to was very helpful (you know who you are, I don't want to say who, mainly to try and stop a torrent of pm's your way ^_^ ).

The consensus seems to be that the actual panels themselves are just a straight bolt in affair. Un-bolt you current ADM panels and bolt on the new ones with head lights. Next time you pop your bonnet, have a look at your side panels etc and I'm sure you will see what I mean.

If this is something you are seriously considering, I recommend doing it before you paint your car, otherwise getting your car painted will be a waste of time.

I would also recomend giving it a go yourself. Even if you're no mechanic it's always fun to get behind a spanner right? And, as an owner of an 86, it's almost your duty to DIY where possible. The hands on experience you gain will help you no end with knowing how your car works and how it goes together. Plus it will also make you a more valuable member of this community.

You will need to decide which way you want to go first. Modifying your car's performance or the looks. The guys on here know what they are talking about and I'm sure most of them recomend the motor swap first because the difference between a 4ac and 4 ag are like night and day.

It comes down to where you want to go first. If you don't drive your car that hard or you don't require much more perfomance or dynamics from it and want it to look good, go for it. However, if day to day you want more from your car in every aspect, a set of pop up headlights wont help that.

Google this and see what you come up with and search these forums and maybe club 4ag and the european 86 community (those guys are great) and see what you come up with.

it's not an exact answer but I hope it helps.

by the way, how the hell did you get that many posts in such a short time?

stefan
24th July 2007, 02:36 PM
dillon mac buy my trueno front it's og yota red aswell and guards are flared aswell direct bolt in no mods needed

Dillon Mac
24th July 2007, 08:39 PM
So it's good to know that the conversion will be easy but now that it's been moved I wont find many opininons on how it will look unfortunatly..

The problem is now the $2g, a left rear S series axle, and some rust problems.. Friggen rust lol

Jonny Rochester
24th July 2007, 09:03 PM
I will make it easy for you. 50% of people prefer the Trueno front. 50% of people prefer the Levin front. 90% of people leave it the way it was.

egg_83
24th July 2007, 09:42 PM
The s series diff for $30 is still on ebay(easily the cheapest option). Buy that so you can drive it. Get the front straightened and fix the rust it will only get worse with time. don't worry about the trueno front end for now because WHEN you crash again it will only cost you more $$$ spend your money where it is needed. and learn to drive a manual car

Dillon Mac
24th July 2007, 11:34 PM
I will learn how to drive when it has an axle.. After my last off road and kerb climbing adventre I am not interested in speeding on wet roads or taking corners fast and getting my arms tangled up.. This conversion is ONLY speculation btw..

pandaknightAE86
26th July 2007, 12:53 PM
Hey dillion,

I live in Seattle WA, usa. All we have here is the flip up lights. If your willing to trade I will send you all the parts you need. just pay shipping and send me your levin stuff and Ill pay shipping. OR, if you want. Ill send you just the headlights and relays and you send your lights. Then that other stuff you can get aftermarket like Orgin labs or something. Thats kinda what I'm looking for, just the headlights. Cause I'm going to have full aero and all that stuff anyway. But if you really want all the stuff Ill do that for you. Sheet Ill even try boxing it all up and weighing it to get you a price for shipping.
Just let me know, ok?

Anthony-Panic!

Dillon Mac
27th July 2007, 12:21 AM
Noted, am not 100% sur eon if I will or not but I will keep you in mind Panda

pandaknightAE86
27th July 2007, 11:26 AM
Cool man no problem. Just let me know, I can get this stuff anytime I want all day long.

But if you can get some lights let me know. I really want levin lights for my coupe(levin coupes are the SHIT!). All I want is the headlights and corner lights, no hood or bumper or fender. Just lights. Just don't wanna pay 500US just for lights. Stupid USA....