PDA

View Full Version : Whiteline Swaybars

shawn_26
5th April 2009, 09:52 PM
Iv'e got a JDM Kouki Levin coupe. Just wondering if upgrading to Whiteline front and rear swaybars is worth doing. As I think I have heard that JDM swaybars are thicker than ADM?

If i was to upgrade to Whiteline swaybars front and rear, what sort of handling difference am I likely to get?

shift_rook
5th April 2009, 09:56 PM
everyone has varying opinion on swaybars, they're a cheap way to minimise body roll, however there are certainly better ways to minimise it

stylz
5th April 2009, 10:07 PM
what are you talking about? upgrading the sway bars is one of the better things to do to get rid of body roll. most people try to eliminate body roll by just going stupidly hard spring rates which i believe isnt the correct way to go about doing things

Delazy
5th April 2009, 10:14 PM
what are you talking about? upgrading the sway bars is one of the better things to do to get rid of body roll. most people try to eliminate body roll by just going stupidly hard spring rates which i believe isnt the correct way to go about doing things

exactly my thoughts...

more anti roll control via swaybars and quality adjustable shocks and less via ridiculous spring rates and "other vehicle replacement shocks"

rather than whiteline look into the selby range AJPS are offering...made to the same quality (due to selby having previously made whitelines for them) but custom/better sizes and to top it off a linkage system that will actually work and not cause more dramas than they are worth...

Konakid
5th April 2009, 10:44 PM
everyone has varying opinion on swaybars, they're a cheap way to minimise body roll, however there are certainly better ways to minimise it

Swaybars the the BEST way to minimise bodyroll, sure stiff springs can help but then you create other problems such as wheels losing traction as they bounce off bumps.

From experience i dont really rate the whiteline swaybars, especially the adjustables, though the rear non adj i had seemed to be sound. Talk to Dave at AJPS about some Aussie made Selby swaybars, much better quality and custom sizes too.

ke70dave
5th April 2009, 10:48 PM

spoken like a true internet expert!

as state sway bars are a great upgrade

i wish went down the swaybar route rather than the "stiff springs" route.

though my car is stiff i can still feel the body rolling (8kg/6kg with stocko sway bars). i think i can afford to put in stiff springs with some new swaybars and get it to handle better. if only my wallet allowed it!

it contributes to how new cars retain decent handling and still have comfort. the new mazda 3 is amazing in the handling area considering how comfy it is.

just becarefull as if the front one is too stiff it can lead to excessive understeer, and if the rear one is too stiff it can lead to excessive oversteer.

the thing i dont understand is why they cost so damn much, the goin price seems to be around $240 for each end. man i dont have $240 for a peice of tube!

advan86
6th April 2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah try AJPS at least they drive work on and own sprinters.I worked at motor traders and never sold one whiteline bar in the 3 yrs i was there for a AE86.Cant tell you if there good bad or otherwise tho.I have a stock rear bar and a fat K-Mac front bar and think its ok.Opinions vairy as suspension does.
I remember ppl use to cut there bars and double up on the bars and clamps on the older rotaries and dattos.

Rice86
6th April 2009, 12:38 AM

though my car is stiff i can still feel the body rolling (8kg/6kg with stocko sway bars). i think i can afford to put in stiff springs with some new swaybars and get it to handle better. if only my wallet allowed it!

it contributes to how new cars retain decent handling and still have comfort. the new mazda 3 is amazing in the handling area considering how comfy it is.

just becarefull as if the front one is too stiff it can lead to excessive understeer, and if the rear one is too stiff it can lead to excessive oversteer.

the thing i dont understand is why they cost so damn much, the goin price seems to be around $240 for each end. man i dont have $240 for a peice of tube!

$240 seems fair for an upgrade like swaybars

$240 for swaybars or $240 for some jdm washer+radiator bottles in total going by the price some people are wanting for them....

fail on jdm bottles

Axentrik
6th April 2009, 01:27 AM
Sorry to be off topic but what is the point of buying jdm washer bottles seems like the most pointless money wasting exercise ever to me.

On topic, id rather swaybars than excessively stiff spring rates for sure. 7.2kg/mm max id go for my fronts and 5.5kg/mm max rears.

--Redwork--
6th April 2009, 03:44 AM
Sorry to be off topic but what is the point of buying jdm washer bottles seems like the most pointless money wasting exercise ever to me.

On topic, id rather swaybars than excessively stiff spring rates for sure. 7.2kg/mm max id go for my fronts and 5.5kg/mm max rears.

I run a 8/6 and my car rides fine... 10000% better than it did
But my suspention is also a properly engineer coilover set...
Not some mix and match parts... (which it was before)

Also + like a BILLION for sway bar upgrade...
My first KE thats all I did. Swaybars and cut springs... Handled quite good for haveing only cost only $500 to do...

Konakid
6th April 2009, 11:08 AM

A rear sway bar only makes a massive difference to the handling, and a whiteline one can be had for around 180.

Swaybars are the best bang for buck handling mod before tyres.

shawn_26: Apparently the sway bars from ADM to JDM models are the same though im not 100% on that.

Either way, upgraded swaybars will make a world of difference to the handling, the car will sit much flatter when cornering and have more mid corner grip as it uses the tyres and chassis more effectively.

I would start buy using a rear swaybar for starters and see how you like the feeling of that then buy an adjustable front to dial the handling balance how you want it.

One thing you need to make sure is that your springs are not too stiff as if they are, running sway bars will overstiffen the car making it actually have less grip then before. I would say no stiffer springs than 7 and 5kg front and rear using 18mm rear and 24mm front swaybars.

Dave at AJPS is soon to try out a 20mm rear bar with 4.5kg springs in his car, should be a pretty good combo.

shawn_26
6th April 2009, 11:13 AM
Cheers everyone for the replies. Definately sounds like they are worth doing!

buddyparts
6th April 2009, 11:26 AM
Please please done get whitline i have seen them fowl up with struts etc.
Get cusco or trd imo.
as far as selbys maybe wait and c some feed back just like white line was all the hype for a while and now its selbys

45KIDS
6th April 2009, 11:57 AM
i have whiteline rear and selby's front swaybar's.. put them in last night so will have to see the difference :D

Matt-AE86
6th April 2009, 02:46 PM
I've had whiteline swaybars, non-adjustable, from AJPS since 04. I've never had a problem with them foweling on anything. Probably one of the best things I ever did to my car and swear by having them.

Konakid
6th April 2009, 08:17 PM
I've had whiteline swaybars, non-adjustable, from AJPS since 04. I've never had a problem with them foweling on anything. Probably one of the best things I ever did to my car and swear by having them.

Think its mainly the adjustables that are the problem dude.

Robo86
6th April 2009, 08:28 PM
ive done whiteline rear, stock front. feels nice, i run 9kg front though so it kinda evens out with a stock swaybar. although i do want to give a thicker front a try

shift_rook
6th April 2009, 08:33 PM

i knew i'd get people tryin to flame me for sayin this ye, sure goin an aftermarket swaybar can be good but some people go to far with stiffness, i am no internet expert, i know this as a fact, i wasn't talking about stiffer springs, i was talking about custom tuning shocks to counter body roll. don't just assume someone knows nothing, however i realise not everyone is able to just build shocks, however i'll have a few sets up for sale in the coming months after refine the setup in my own car

Matt-AE86
6th April 2009, 10:04 PM
ive done whiteline rear, stock front. feels nice, i run 9kg front though so it kinda evens out with a stock swaybar. although i do want to give a thicker front a try

You should. I've found it can help carry your slide longer.

KE70
7th April 2009, 02:22 PM
no hype. will just be sorting issues with current whiteline adjustable bars and offering more sizes and keeping jobs in australia

perfect
Well done dude :)

Dave
7th April 2009, 03:07 PM
Please please done get whitline i have seen them fowl up with struts etc.
Get cusco or trd imo.
as far as selbys maybe wait and c some feed back just like white line was all the hype for a while and now its selbys

I have whiteline swaybars on my car :S

seem fine so far

Vance
7th April 2009, 04:54 PM
swaybars make it seem like your compression rate is raised (i could explain how with diagrams but cbf right now)

the stupidest thing ive seen with people and their suspension setup is that they use a spring rate of say 8kg for front and 6kg for rear and then only use a upgraded rear swaybar.

standard compression rate is about 2kg front and rear. adding a upgraded swaybar like whiteline, cusco, trd will raise this standard rate by about 100% meaning itll feel like a 4kg rate.

this extra 100% ontop of standard means that if you use 8kg front and 6kg rear it will feel like 8kg all round (approx. it actually increases exponentially).

for non-adjustables

front will increase understeer
rear will increase oversteer
all round will keep it neutral

Konakid
7th April 2009, 05:29 PM
Which is sweet for skids, i ran that setup for a few months (8 and 6kg w/18mm rear, stock front)

Was a good combo, albeit biased to oversteer (obviously)

When i put in a front 24mm adj, the car was more balanced, had much more grip and power down at the setting i had it on at about half strength

You need to remember that the factory balance is set to understeer so its not as oversteery as you would think with a rear bar only