26th August 2007, 06:18 PM
thought it was time to post something on my AE86. her name is Selphie

was
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3192/s5000203rt1.jpg

now
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/153477.jpg

riojin
26th August 2007, 08:59 PM
itll be back on the road this week if chris has sent me my wires and bulbs for the rear lights..... ive been waiting about a month now.....

AmyC
26th August 2007, 09:03 PM
itll be back on the road this week if chris has sent me my wires and bulbs for the rear lights..... ive been waiting about a month now.....[/b]
Dont worry mate you will get over it ;)

riojin
27th August 2007, 01:38 PM
where have i heard that before?

my light wires and bulbs arrived today. now i can take it out to get other stuff fixed. thanks chris :)

chris roark - a great guy to know

i should be spending all my cash on my car for now and hopefully a while now. i dont have a girlfriend right now thankfully. theyre just a vacuum for money and other things..... so my car will be respectable in the near future

riojin
4th September 2007, 11:29 PM
ive decided to spray it this colour when it gets back from the beaters after next week. ill post pics when its done

http://www.mazda3forums.com/gallery/albums/userpics/17608/normal_blue3.jpg

awang
7th September 2007, 04:45 PM
good day,

is that a real carbon bonnet? where did u get it ? i like it, cant wait to see the car with the new paint, good luck man

riojin
18th September 2007, 03:10 PM
yeah its a real carbon fibre bonnet. got it off a bloke in sydney plenty cheaper than its worth. he needed cash quick to cover defect fines.

i took it to the beaters yesterday and should get it back in the next few days. then im gonna spend the next week spraying it. my mates gonna help prep. he just lost his licence for 50km over the limit..... $1600 and 6mths.

riojin
16th October 2007, 02:48 PM
update respray

Javal
16th October 2007, 02:54 PM
That'll look nice when once all the panels / lights / shutlines are lined up, she looks a bit wonky at the moment.

Did the paint come out well?

riojin
16th October 2007, 07:04 PM
yeah i dodgily put it back together just so i could drive it again. its been a few weeks. ill line it all up properly soon. just wanted out of the garage.

paint came out ok but needs a buff. its a lil rought to touch because i used the wrong head on the gun, a 1.4 for acrylic with 50/50 thinners. i should have thinned it out more because but i ran out of thinners quick.

i found it funny today when i drove it outta the garage the bloke across the street whos my age starts stairing. he realised what i had been doing for the last 4months in my garage. he saw me in there almost everyday

obey wan boenny
16th October 2007, 07:43 PM
velly attractive! :D

any tips you could give me on how to achieve a decent finish from a home respray? I'm going to do it myself in the next few months or so.

riojin
17th October 2007, 11:53 PM
home spray= you must prep good. sand back well, tape up well and be careful. appart from that use the suggestions on each type of paint to spray. i thought id go acrylic because if i stuffed up it would be ok cause i can sand it back, which is true. also if you want a better finish acrylic is better because you can sand it to get a better shine.

to spray acrylic you must:-

have atleast 50/50 thinners/paint if not 60/40
have a 1.6-1.8 nozzel
temp be 25-30 degrees C
sand primer at 400-800
sand final colour coat at 800
sand clear (if used. only needed on metalic's) at 1200 and then buff in cutting compound then polishing compound.

what i personally do is do the cutting compound with a foam buffer and then hand buff the polishing compound with a rag. for cutting compound any will really do but i use kitten. the BEST polishing compound on the market is true finish which you will have to find an aussie dealer for or to save costs import from overseas. if you can get it or dont wanna spend the cash for it use turtlewax scratch and swirl remover which is more easily obtainable but doesnt get as good a shine (but it is still very good). i used this on my last car and it cost me $13 for a bottle from bunnings and it easily did the whole car (xc falcon). i will be using this again because i dont wanna pay for true finish.

i wish i didnt do acrylic though. my 86 is just a thrasher and dont care too much how it looks. 2pac woulda been good enough. enough gloss and less labour because you dont have to sand it back. i MUST sand mine now which is anoying. not only that when i sctach/damage the car (and if you ever drift/try to drift you will) itll ruin the paint job anyway.

what im gonna do this weekend is sand it back lightly with some 800, tape up again (but not take it appart) and spray another few coats on. there were a few spots where i didnt give her enough (couldnt see because of bad lighting in my garage) and since i did it in pieces, the pannels (to my eyes) dont all look the same yellow. atleast this will be easier than the first go because i dont have to take it apart.

i will then sand it back with 800 and give her a buff with some cutting compound and then polishing compound and then glass paint protectant (glass coating on your car to get an unbeatable shine and is protected against stone chips, uv rays, scratches). its my uncles business to do this protection with this glass stuff and it looks awesome. hes teaching me on my car and then hes gonna train me up to do it too. ill advertise here when i do if i end up ok at it.

i also found out what wasnt lined up. its my front passenger side pannel. i measured the gaps between each pannel and this one was the only one out. this should fix my lights and grill being crooked too. its only bout 3mm out.

Nikkojoe
18th October 2007, 01:34 AM
sand clear (if used. only needed on metalic's) at 1200 and then buff in cutting compound then polishing compound.[/b]

I would go higher than 1200 on a clear coat (still too coarse). I used 1500 minimum then a further 2000 and you notice the difference (it begins to shine without polishing/cutting). I then used Repo extra cut and polish (red tin) and it worked a treat (all by hand).

Here is a sample pic of result:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/156892.jpg

poh_86
18th October 2007, 05:09 PM
nice one dan

when did u want those doors aye

riojin
18th October 2007, 06:08 PM
sry poh the girl said she didnt like the idea of no side intrusion bars so i got some doors from a guy who lives 10mins from me. i shoulda let you know. thanks anywayz bro.

cutting compound does good enough for me after 1200. but i use a buffing machine. really straight up i wouldn't even have to sand if i used a coarse foam pad with the compound. but thats dangerous could i could easily strip the paint.

i just gave my roof a sand by hand with 800 but i took a lil too much off. im gonna spray some more on anywayz i just wanted to get it smoother for now because it MAY be awhile until i do. i was hoping for this weekend (sunday) but we'll see

obey wan boenny
18th October 2007, 06:16 PM
Awesome, cheers for the info! :2thumbs:

riojin
19th October 2007, 04:23 PM
i just gave my car a few more coats. i thought i was ok when i was doing it but now im stopped i realise im high on the humes....

my head is spinning. i hope it looks better because i think it does but i cant be sure at the present time. my body is gonna hate me in a few years when my lungs are screwed...

riojin
25th October 2007, 11:49 PM
i just spent 6hrs on giving her a good sand with some 1200 and a polish. shes ready for the glasscoat tomorrow. shes gonna be even shinier than she is right now :)

riojin
29th October 2007, 10:31 PM
gave her a buff on saturday, still no glasscoat. gonna give her a hand buff again to get the swirl marks off i think.

the cars exterior looks pretty amazing to me right now, almost exactly how i would want my ae86 to look; but i dont feel satisfied with it at all. ive spent 6months to get the exterior looking this good and now i dont care. im thinking and feeling more and more that i hate cars. they give me something to do/work for and when i get there i feel ive accomplished nothing.

im gonna start work on the way the car goes now but like my last car i bet i wont feel satisfied again, and most probably ill end up selling it. i feel like selling it now and buying an ae92 and not caring anymore

riojin
26th November 2007, 05:02 PM
well i sold this car yesterday. buying a new ae86 next monday with a gze.

should be a fun 3.5hrs drive home