PDA

View Full Version : Aquariums

DRFTPG
28th August 2007, 04:37 PM
Well im just about to buy an aquarium, just going to be something pretty small as its my first. The only fish i have owned before is a Siamese Fighting fish in a fish bowl. So who on here owns an aquarium? if so i would love to see some pictures.
Also- What type of fish would you recommend i get for my first aquarium? I want ones that are reasonably hardy and wont eat each other :P

DavisJD
28th August 2007, 04:43 PM
Il get you a picture of one of my mates aquarium's when I see him next, the shit is ridiculous. 1500 litre tank or thereabouts

verm69
28th August 2007, 05:18 PM
yeah fish are hella cool...

i really want to get a fish tank when i move out next... got no room where i am at the moment...

want to get a medium sized tank. Fish are just so cool to watch...! :D

DRFTPG
28th August 2007, 05:37 PM
Fish are just so cool to watch...! :D[/b]

yeh i love watching them, i was at a friends house and he had them..i watched them for ages

obey wan boenny
28th August 2007, 06:48 PM
my old man has 3 large fish tanks, they're awesome to just sit and watch when you need to think. I'd take pics but he lives 45km's away. Neon Tetra's are pretty good if you buy a handful of them and nothing else, but the downside is if you want to add more fish they tend to die quickly because of stress (apparently). I reckon just go to your local pet shop and get the people there to help you pick out a good setup, that way, you can't go wrong :)

Gilly
28th August 2007, 07:14 PM
i had tropicals they are the easiest to maintain

you can get marine fish (finding Nemo fish and shit) but its hell expensive to set up and need a constant temp, they don't respond well to temp fluctuations. I know a guy who got his hose airconditioned so he could run a big marine setup

it was hell wicked to watch though with living corals and anenomies (spelling)

Tropicals are still wicked, Angel fish are insane and grow pretty big. i had angel fish and some little leopard catfish which were wicked as well.

there is another type but i can't remeber what they were, they are also harder to maintain and normally need big tanks due to the size of the fish.

if you can get a 4 foot tank, fish grow to the size of their environment if you have waht would normally be quite a large fish in a small tank when they grow they become very territorial and will kill other fish. the bigger the tank the more "territory" to share, 4each fish will have its own little section that is theirs :P

i'd go tropicals, piss easy to look after and you can still get wicked coloured fish and plants.

obey wan boenny
28th August 2007, 07:31 PM
yeh basically what Gilly said, lol :D my old man has a crap load of tropical fish that he breeds and sells, I can't remember what they're called though. I also have an angel fish that cops a fair bit of abuse from my little cousins and it's still kicking along and swimming.

MountainRunner
28th August 2007, 08:00 PM
i like those mini shark ones

Klutch
28th August 2007, 09:00 PM
I like fish.

Eating them, that is.

DRFTPG
28th August 2007, 10:05 PM
i had tropicals they are the easiest to maintain

you can get marine fish (finding Nemo fish and shit) but its hell expensive to set up and need a constant temp, they don't respond well to temp fluctuations. I know a guy who got his hose airconditioned so he could run a big marine setup

it was hell wicked to watch though with living corals and anenomies (spelling)

Tropicals are still wicked, Angel fish are insane and grow pretty big. i had angel fish and some little leopard catfish which were wicked as well.

there is another type but i can't remeber what they were, they are also harder to maintain and normally need big tanks due to the size of the fish.

if you can get a 4 foot tank, fish grow to the size of their environment if you have waht would normally be quite a large fish in a small tank when they grow they become very territorial and will kill other fish. the bigger the tank the more "territory" to share, 4each fish will have its own little section that is theirs :P

i'd go tropicals, piss easy to look after and you can still get wicked coloured fish and plants.[/b]
thanks for the help gilly...it seems that you know something about everything :P

i like those mini shark ones[/b]

silver sharks, i wanna get some of those haha

DRFTPG
29th August 2007, 09:22 PM
^^ yeh im not a real fish eater, love watching them but

puzzigully
30th August 2007, 12:22 AM
i have a fetish so strange, so bizzare it must be kept from the public at all costs

WHT16V
30th August 2007, 04:08 PM
Heres my tropical setup...Nothing special but it adds flavour to the room
Two of the fish are breeding now...and ive had good success in taking care of the little ones :) $$$ ;)

http://i7.tinypic.com/63jxw69.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/4yf4ajn.jpg

DRFTPG
30th August 2007, 05:12 PM
thats a nice setup^^ what type of pebbles are those? crushed coral?

EMD-KE70
30th August 2007, 05:12 PM
^^^ how do all your fish get along?
You have fish from all over the world lol. Archer fish are awesome, ever feed it above the tank so it shoots?
I love my fish....and I did a 6 month course on Aquaculture but for some reason I lost motivation.

If you want a nice small tank go for a tropical setup for some neons, they are cheap as chips and easy to maintain.
So say you wanted a 2 foot tank, you can make it really nice.
Fairly cheap too, check your trader for some sweet cheap setups if you dont mind getting 2nd hand.
Check this site out for tips if ya want www.aquahobby.com

WHT16V
30th August 2007, 08:36 PM
They get along SOMETIMES... haha...the archer fish are cool..and thats how i show them off...feeding above the fishtank

miss_petepie
30th August 2007, 09:16 PM
i had my tropical tank set up for about a year or so,... kept on killing the fish.. finally got the hang of it tho :) good fun and sooooo relaxing.. so pissed when Tony my fish died tho :( he waas the stupid one who swam into the net instead of swimming away... so we called him Tony :P

Clinton
1st September 2007, 12:48 PM
still thinking about doing the rotary fish tank sonny? or is this THE rotor tank?

DRFTPG
1st September 2007, 02:39 PM
still thinking about doing the rotary fish tank sonny? or is this THE rotor tank?[/b]

yeh would love to make a small tank out of a rotor housing, but i dont really have the time to make it so im going for a bigger setup. something like a 2 foot tank with a few different kinds of fish.

mitch13
6th September 2007, 08:57 PM
Definately stay away from the marine setup to start with. I had one set up a few years ago it cost a lot of money to run and its really hard to look after.

Tropical is the way to go. My old man has one its easy to keep and looks cool without costing a shit load.

Just a bit of stuff I have learnt from experience.
The bigger the tank the easier it is to keep the pH etc in balance and therefore you are likely to kill less fish.
If you have fish living in your tank and want to add more its a good idea to move the rocks and stuff you have set up around a bit. This will mean the fish already present will spend time looking for a new home and are less likely to attack your new fish. It also prevents territory problems.

Good luck!