PDA

View Full Version : t50 gearbox problem

john smith
7th September 2007, 12:53 PM
hey all...

i have tried searching through the forum, and i found a few useful links and answers, but nothing really seemed to help.. so i thought i would just post my issue..

i have an AE71 20v silver top, with a standard t50 running behind it. I have a reciept (6mnths ago) for a recond. box (incl sincros). The box has been running perfect up until a few days ago.

The problem i have is shifting from 3rd to 2nd, at any speed or revs, the thing just wont go in, unless i go 3rd, 1st, 2nd. It feels like the gearstick will break if i put too much pressure on it. Also, when really pushing the car hard from 1st to 2nd it sometimes just grinds or completely misses the gear.

Im running a mixture of gearbox oil and dex 3, it has been prefectly shifting up until last week. I have checked the fluid, it is full... i also bled the clutch and it still does it.

any help would be appreciated

Felix
7th September 2007, 01:24 PM
I have the same problem and now it crunches from 1st to 2nd as well

i've had it for around 2 months, but dont really drive the ke much anymore (btw 7age with T50)

i am also very keen on an answer for this

Lost Prophet
7th September 2007, 02:24 PM
i have exactly the same problem.

I'm running a ze with ceramic button so it could be the gearbox giving up.

i might try the dextron III automatic fluid which is what many of the forum members have suggested.

Hen is a total nutcase
7th September 2007, 02:26 PM
Sounds like rooted synchros.

Try matching revs (double de-clutching) on the down shift and see if the problem goes away. If so then I point firmly at synchros.

The good point is you can basically drive forever with rooted synchros once you get used to it.

Hen

cuzzo
7th September 2007, 02:42 PM
rooted box

john smith
7th September 2007, 03:23 PM
yea, iv tried matching revs and double clutching, even pumping the clutch... but nothing seems to work. Only when the car is near dead stop will it go from 3rd to 2nd.... or if i go 3rd, 1st, then 2nd <<<which is annoying in mountains LOL

yea.. if it ends up being a rooted box there will be trouble down at the old mill...... cos iv paid and got a reciept for a fully recond box... hmmm

Gilly
7th September 2007, 04:14 PM
box sounds very sad

get your receipts out son!!!

ae86trueno
7th September 2007, 04:39 PM
Unfortunatly the Syncros are only 1/3 rd of the shift assembly that wear out,

The selector rings and the dogs on the gears themselves wear out.

If only the syncros are replaced and the other 2 are rooted it will wear the
new syncros out very fast, speaking from experience here.

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/5543/dscf0061vp9.jpg

Ben.

mech`s blue
9th September 2007, 12:16 AM
i'm surprised that you were able to get your box rebuilt...

i had my gear box playing up and went to rebuild it. every company i asked said that they couldn't get rebuild kits for the t50. i couldn't even get bearings through the parts deparment at my work. even toyota said that they could only get half the bearings and they wanted $900. i went to the bearing companies and they said they need the part numbers of the bearings. so i stripped the box and they then told me they couldn't even make up the bearings. :blink:

in the end wasted box. <_<

just buy another one second hand.save yourself the time and effort :2thumbs:

Trev084
9th September 2007, 12:20 AM
Do it yourself rebuild:

T50 Rebuild Kit - Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-Toyota-Corolla-Transmission-Rebuild-Kit-T50-4AG_W0QQitemZ150157530976QQihZ005QQcategoryZ6763QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVieem)

Well the link dont wanna work for some reason no matter what i do to it so just go to http://www.ebay.com/ (world wide) and search T50, The item number is 150157530976.

Or click here => http://motors.search.ebay.com/t50_W0QQfromZR40

There is just over 1 day left and its 200 usd but is at auction with no bids.

sprintdaddy
9th September 2007, 04:50 PM
Check the spigot bearing, that`s the little one in the end of the crankshaft that the input shaft mates up to, if this bearing is rooted then you will get same symtoms as fuked synchros, hope this helps.

PS: you will have to pull your box out to check the bearing,

cheers Mick

dr1ft-pig
11th September 2007, 12:18 PM
ross, by the way you shifted to 2nd out front of my house, what were u revving at again??? did i hear revv limiter??? :lol: u guys need to ditch them t50s and go to a w series box much stronger

john smith
13th September 2007, 07:34 PM
Hey thanks for all your help guys...

Yea, just been plotting around this week.... trying not to do any damage if something is wrong. I Have spoken to the gearbox guy and he will be looking at it (in the car) this weekend. But yes, if the problem keeps up, then the box will come out and i will start the progress of finding the problem.

I'v got a list of stuff to check "thanks every1" ...now its just a matter of time.

Hahah "dr1ft-pig" yea, that would have been 8200 in 1st gear, then i hit the limiter in 2nd too.... about 110k's :D.... i turned it up to 8500 now, so it goes that little bit faster. I cant afford a W series box, well i might hav to if this one kicks it in.

See u all at the cruise
Cheers ROSS