PDA

View Full Version : clunking under braking

seek
10th September 2007, 12:27 AM
hey guys

problemo: when driving the car is fine, doing tight turns or going straight, fast or slow, however when braking, there is a clunking noise coming from the diff :wtf:

anyone got an idea as to what it is?

on the way home i thought it'd be that the rear drums are unequally spaced apart, and given i have a locker, it causes the clunking as one side is resisting movement and the other is not.

note: this only happends when applying the brake, soft or hard, doesnt matter... obviously the harder i push the brakes, the louder the clunking is

can anyone shed some light, whether im right or wrong, and / or what you think it is.

ta, Ryan

seek
10th September 2007, 01:21 PM
anyone?

hilton
10th September 2007, 02:23 PM
not sure man, you might be right, i think callums car did the same thing on deceleration, but it was weld splatter on the gears and shit inside the diff,

althought i think you could be right im not sure, adjust your rear brakes, so there the same on each side (ie, even if one sides worn more theres the same distance between shoes and drum) and see if it still does it, could be totally rong but at least your handbrake will be nice and firm lol.

other than that, im not sure, check ur diff oil level.

dunno man...

deleta
10th September 2007, 04:59 PM
nah dude way different nose, and yah that was platter its gone now

ae71
10th September 2007, 06:24 PM
when i back off the thottel my diff makes a loudish clunk, has dont it since i have had the car. just slop in the gears i belive.

i dont have a welded diff either just a nackerd one.

Javal
11th September 2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah it sounds like she's just worn out.

Try running some thicker oil if it's really bothering you.

But are you 100% sure it's your diff? my tailshaft makes a nice clunk when you step off / put the power (or lack therof) back on because the centre bearing is on its way out.

AmyC
11th September 2007, 12:50 AM
Sounds like lots of backlash, You can get a shop to add shims etc to it but its not cheap.

seek
11th September 2007, 10:38 AM
if i hit the gas its fine... if im on the gas and take my foot off, its fine. if i accelerate its fine, if i slow down with the gears its fine. this noise is purely related to the brakes.

its wierd as hell...