PDA

View Full Version : CUT SPRINGS....LOSE POWER??

4AC power
10th September 2007, 08:30 PM
i cut my springs just this weekend and its bouncy as hell, but looks good :2thumbs:

the problem is, did i lose power, feels like a real nugget now
felt like i was picking up speed faster with stock ride hieght
oh yeah the springs that i cut was kingsprings that were stock ride height, and now der uber low :greenbounce:

i have JDM big port, so dont say i have a 4ac,...even if my user name is 4AC power :rolleyes: lol

hatzo
10th September 2007, 08:40 PM
Wrong Pinion Angle Saps Power

4AC power
10th September 2007, 08:48 PM
hahah ok cool, jsut wanted to noe wat the problem is, doesnt matter, still can go sideways in wet! =]

Driftspec
11th September 2007, 12:18 AM
Probably coincidence dude

Didn't knock anything out? Check all the lugs around the engine, especially the O2 sensor as without that working properly it can make the car run dog as. Check all your leads, belts.

Odds are something has come loose during you working on it, especially if you were going in and around the engine/exhaust area

flamingheads
11th September 2007, 12:34 AM
I think your grammer somehow lowered your engines power. I don't know how to explain it scientifically but it does make sense in real terms...

AmyC
11th September 2007, 12:53 AM
Since you added stiffer springs there would be less weight transfer so it would feel slower ?

MINIHORSE
11th September 2007, 12:56 AM
are you sure you didnt unplug the flux capacitor?

ke70dave
11th September 2007, 09:17 AM
are you sure you didnt unplug the flux capacitor?[/b]

dont be stupid hes not that dumb

you might need to check your spring fluid, you know less amount of spring under there, might have to top up the fluid.

sorry:P

umm yer i'd say its just a co-incidence, have a check around your engine bay, go nuts with carby cleaner in the intake, check your timing to, you might have knocked the dizzy, or sometimes they move by themselves somehow <_< fuel filter might also need replacing to, these are cheap so just do it anyway i reckon

good luck :2thumbs:

Lost Prophet
11th September 2007, 10:34 PM
I had this effect to some degree,

my guess is that it could be something to do with geometry of the rear suspension. I am in no way a pro in this area but it almost seems logical that there would be far greater losses if everything isn't lined up properly...

I dont know where he mentioned about stiffer springs but i dont think that would change anything.

James86
11th September 2007, 10:53 PM
"how many more RWKW will coilovers give me"

roady
11th September 2007, 11:53 PM
come on now thats just taking the piss to far lol

AmyC
12th September 2007, 12:23 AM
I had this effect to some degree,

my guess is that it could be something to do with geometry of the rear suspension. I am in no way a pro in this area but it almost seems logical that there would be far greater losses if everything isn't lined up properly...

I dont know where he mentioned about stiffer springs but i dont think that would change anything.[/b]
Actually it does, Stiffer suspension tends to lead to less traction and less body movement, And stock height king springs are mildly stiffer than 25 year old stock springs.

Lost Prophet
12th September 2007, 12:39 AM
^^^ thats fair enough but...

the springs in question are king springs and the kings were chopped so yes they are stiffer than stock but chopping them would just make them softer again, so in the end he his ride has become softer than it was with the standard height king spring.

AmyC
12th September 2007, 12:59 AM
Why would it make it softer ? I think the only way it would get softer by cutting them is if they are a progressive rate spring ?

Lost Prophet
12th September 2007, 01:22 AM
From the equation in this article the stiffness of a spring really depends on the number of free coils.

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=2882

the less free coils you have the softer the spring becomes assuming all other factors remain constant.

AmyC
12th September 2007, 01:30 AM
From the equation in this article the stiffness of a spring really depends on the number of free coils.

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=2882

the less free coils you have the softer the spring becomes assuming all other factors remain constant.[/b]
There ya go, Ya learn something new every day :2thumbs:

JDM-086
20th September 2007, 08:33 PM
Gimme a break !!! Cutting springs makes them shorter
and stiffer... check that equation again :)

Cheers... jondee86

AmyC
20th September 2007, 08:37 PM
Gimme a break !!! Cutting springs makes them shorter
and stiffer... check that equation again :)

Cheers... jondee86[/b]
Fucks me, I don't really care coz i don't cut springs.

Des ;)

bahnugget
20th September 2007, 08:42 PM
the problem is, did i lose power, feels like a real nugget now[/b]

OI! YOU GOT SOMETHING AGAINST NUGGETS!? HUH!

haha back on topic.. nah dude thats stupid of course u havent lost power just by cutting your springs. if anything.. you're going faster! :P

shinny
20th September 2007, 09:42 PM
Wrong Pinion Angle Saps Power[/b]

did no one read this ^^

this is a very logical reason for the loss of power.

i doubt the stiffness affects much...

but thats just my opinion...

pursell
20th September 2007, 09:45 PM
Chances are that if you chopped the springs more than
a coil or so, you are riding on the bump stops. You get
the bouncy ride, plus as a bonus, it will handle like a pig <_<

Won't have lost any power... but you will be driving slower
because the car feels bad over bumps and round corners.
Well my one did :lol:

Cheers... jondee86