PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Bushes and Overhaul + Swaybars

patience
12th September 2007, 02:06 AM
Alrighty,
Two lots of questions :)

1. I am replacing most of the suspension components on the Sprinter with TRD stuff when she lands. I have new TRD shocks, springs and the complete TRD hard rubber bushing set.
But I have read that some people regretted buying the TRD set as they replaced other suspension components later down the track, and had to through these out. I'd like to do most of it in one hit.

So... what else needs/should be replaced? If I miss something out, what will I regret later down the track?
I hear alot of different terms for arms and rods being thrown around. Should I be looking at replacing anything else on the suspension side of things?

Any suggestions guys, however please keep in mind the purposes I stated it for. I do not want something hardcore for track use.
I also do not want Rose joints as I know they are illegal.

2. Swaybars - I have read into them on the forums through previous threads, however I only found what other people were running, not what purpose they had in mind for them ie track, drift or grip.
What sizes should I be running for grip? Brand suggestions? I heard whiteline are okay... though are a bit flimsey by other peoples standards. I wanted something that was good build quality and dialed in oversteer.
What are the TRD ones like - do they help control oversteer? Any good?

Sorry for all the typing... any help would be appreciated.

Chrisso
12th September 2007, 01:54 PM
Right, where to start. While you have it all apart, check and possibly replace the ball joints in the lower control arms and the tie rod ends. If you're concerned you could have your steering rack reconditioned as well, though it may not need it. In terms of swaybars and oversteer, this will also depend on your spring rates. I would leave the swaybar for now, as they're very easy to swap, and see how your car drives. For example, I changed the springs recently and put in polyurethane bushes and I have found that the rear springs are too stiff and the car is more prone to oversteer. For me, the answer here is to soften the rear springs rather than increase the stiffness of the front swaybar. I would suggest some reading on vehicle dynamics, weight transferrence and suspension.

Regards,
Chris.

Hen is a total nutcase
12th September 2007, 06:36 PM
For my daily (which will hopefully see some more spirited use one day) I did the following:
- All poly bushes. Everywhere. Made it a little "crashy" over bumps.
- Checked all steering balljoints (LCA, rack end, tie rods). If they are sloppy/dodgy/tight replace them.
- Checked the rack for play
- F+R swaybars
- New tyres
- Get a wheel alignment
- Checked tailshaft bearing and unis for rootedness.

Still factory springs and shocks since I CBFed right now, but it is pretty good round town.

Hen