PDA

View Full Version : Engine Overheating

Fozz
14th September 2007, 05:25 PM
Hi Guys
I have a 2t carbied motor that keeps overheating. Ive checked the water pump and replaced the thermostat and flushed out the radiator but it still overheats. somebody help please. i dont have a clue whats worng and i need it fixed as its my daily driver.

cheers

rthy
14th September 2007, 06:02 PM
BHG?

seek
14th September 2007, 06:20 PM
if you take it on the highway, sit at a lowish rpm will it continue to overheat? if so, there is a blockage somewhere. generally with a bhg if you keep the revs down and going at a half paced speed it wont overheat.

Fozz
14th September 2007, 06:22 PM
if you take it on the highway, sit at a lowish rpm will it continue to overheat? if so, there is a blockage somewhere. generally with a bhg if you keep the revs down and going at a half paced speed it wont overheat.[/b]

My car has a three speed auto when im on the highway doin 100 its at 4000rpm anyway know matter what when ever i drove it always overheats.

350hp4agte
14th September 2007, 09:48 PM
does it use alot of water, is there oil in the water or is there water in your oil sounds like a blown head gasket

ke70dave
15th September 2007, 01:21 AM
Take the cap off start the engine with the radiator full of water turn on heater so heater core is full...be careful not to spill any
check radiator for bubbles, if it bubbles you have a blown headgasket.
Also check the heater hoses and do ageneral inspection for any signs of moisture check welsh plugs[/b]

yes this is a good idea!

also check your timing, i hear that to advanced timing can lead to to much heat.

also do you get any water vapor out the exhaust, in extreme HG failure, this will happen

also do a compression test, that will tell all.

Fozz
16th September 2007, 01:41 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=404380)
Take the cap off start the engine with the radiator full of water turn on heater so heater core is full...be careful not to spill any
check radiator for bubbles, if it bubbles you have a blown headgasket.
Also check the heater hoses and do ageneral inspection for any signs of moisture check welsh plugs[/b]

yes this is a good idea!

also check your timing, i hear that to advanced timing can lead to to much heat.

also do you get any water vapor out the exhaust, in extreme HG failure, this will happen

also do a compression test, that will tell all.
[/b]

I checked for bubles and now i know that i dont have a blown headgasket but i still have cooling issues. ill probably have to take it to a mechanic cos i want it running for the qld cruise. thanks for the suggestions guys.

cheers :2thumbs:

SLO-030
16th September 2007, 01:47 PM
How old is the water pump? Whats the radaitor condition? Like are all the fins on the rad good and not weak? so if the push on them lightly they dont break.

Thermostat have you pulled that out and checked it in hot water? Radaitor blocked?

Abit more information would help heaps...

When you at lights does it get hot then when you start moving does it get cooler? Or at lights it cools down and when your moving does it get hot?

Little info like that will help

Fozz
16th September 2007, 02:18 PM
How old is the water pump? Whats the radaitor condition? Like are all the fins on the rad good and not weak? so if the push on them lightly they dont break.

Thermostat have you pulled that out and checked it in hot water? Radaitor blocked?

Abit more information would help heaps...

When you at lights does it get hot then when you start moving does it get cooler? Or at lights it cools down and when your moving does it get hot?

Little info like that will help[/b]

It starts to heat up if im at the lights if i drive it normally at night time it stays at normal temp but during the day it overheats. i have a new thermostat which i just fit yesterday and my waterpump is fine. The radiator is a bit old but seems ok and i also replaced the thermostat housing gasket and waterpump gasket. Thats all the info i got.

Cheers

pebbles
16th September 2007, 06:42 PM
sounds like it copuld be a blockage somewhere

gumbie
17th September 2007, 10:07 AM
Sounds like a blockage. You said that you flushed the radiator, did you flush the motor at the same time? Or just the radiator. Either way there might be some solid blockage in the core some where best I think to take it to a radiator shop and ask them to clean out both the radiator and the motor (they can do it with a much higher pressure than you can with a garden hose, which I assume is what you used).

Fozz
17th September 2007, 02:03 PM
Sounds like a blockage. You said that you flushed the radiator, did you flush the motor at the same time? Or just the radiator. Either way there might be some solid blockage in the core some where best I think to take it to a radiator shop and ask them to clean out both the radiator and the motor (they can do it with a much higher pressure than you can with a garden hose, which I assume is what you used).[/b]

Thanks for all the help guys i decided to take every radiator hose off and for some reason the the heater hose had some brown shit in it sort looked like oil but yeh cleaned it out and no runs pretty smooth.

cheers :greenbounce: