PDA

View Full Version : Putting on a new head...

verm69
19th September 2007, 05:59 PM
Hi boys... and girls if there are any...

So I'm getting ready to put my worked head on! I got my full gasket kit in the mail today, and I'm ordering my TRD 0.8mm gasket tomorrow.

I'm just wandering what other things i'll need to do it? as in will i need new head studs etc. or what do you reconmend i replace while i have it off. I've got the head decked and everything ready, but I'm not entirely suer on all the niggley bits. I want to get everything together to do it before i take it to my mate's workshop to do it :)

any help would be great! :2thumbs:

dave

oh yeah... it's a 4AGZE (map)

v-tec
19th September 2007, 06:41 PM
Hey Dave

Probly things you wanna replace are:

-Seals that the top nuts that hold the rocker covers sit on
-Injector seals (while theyre out you might as well)
-Probly a good move to get new camshaft bolts, you might be alright but i had an old one snap on me while trying to go back in.
-Replace your camshaft seals (bursons)
-Just any other things you can see that look old and worn see if you can get them in before it all goes back together

verm69
20th September 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure that when it got decked by the shop they did allot of things like that...

so i should be pretty good to go! I'll be ordering my TRD gasket today! yessss :P

i have to give you a call about borrowing your cam cover too grant... it'll only be for at the most 3 days... but most likely just 1 day. I'm going to make a profile of it with a machine we have at work that does that kind of thing... it can make a profile of something accurate to .2mm, so then i can make a foam mold to make a clear one with a blow mold!

chapl
20th September 2007, 04:34 PM
definently get new head bolts mate!

verm69
20th September 2007, 05:25 PM
... where can i get and how much are the ARP head bolts? or are there any other brands that are recommended?

rthy
20th September 2007, 06:05 PM
I think people generally agree that if its not OEM its ARP bolts or better yet studs

rthy
20th September 2007, 07:48 PM
actually I have seen graphs showing the change in thicknes over multiple usues that show the bolts are re-usable and arnt toque to yeild

rthy
20th September 2007, 08:10 PM
who sells the studs for australia? do you know? VPW used to

rthy
20th September 2007, 08:15 PM
ok thanks

chapl
20th September 2007, 08:25 PM
ill sell you brand new genuine toyota ones for $100

rb27dett
20th September 2007, 10:19 PM
ill sell you brand new genuine toyota ones for $100[/b]
i just started an apprenticeship and we did a head today :D
you need to get new ruber gasket for rocker cover and d rubers (back of cam) if there not on the actual gasket , new camshaft seals , new head studs(must be correctly lubed to get torque settings right) , and one thing i was tought today is to put some high grade silicon on each corner of the rocker cover to avoid leaks (this is what they do in most factory's and they stay sealed for ages) also use dolamite spray on gasket stuff when using metal head gaskets and replace timing belt if it has any sign of ware . i'm just a first year so i might have missed somethin , good luck :2thumbs:

Gavin
20th September 2007, 10:20 PM
If you're going to use silicon on the cam covers don't use heaps because long term the silicon might block the oil pick up and don't use silicon on the inlet and exhaust gasket because it can screw with the o2 sensor.

Gavin
20th September 2007, 10:28 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=407609)
If you're going to use silicon on the cam covers don't use heaps because long term the silicon might block the oil pick up and don't use silicon on the inlet and exhaust gasket because it can screw with the o2 sensor.[/b]
ULTRA COPPER..............use it ..love it..
[/b]
just googled it then, interesting (y)

rthy
21st September 2007, 12:53 AM
hylomer spray is meant to be really good.

I havent heard of the ultra copper stuff before, heres a link for it that I looked up:

http://ken-co.com/permatex/ultra-copper.pdf

verm69
21st September 2007, 10:21 AM
god dam it! i thought i was almost ready to do it...

so... i need...

-A VRS kit (already have)
-A good head Gasket (on order)
-head studs
-Timing belt (will get HKS ;) )
-Cam Gears (Will get HKS one's to match. The one's i have are fine, but i may as well)
-Water pump (may as well well the head is off...)
-and i'm pretty sure the guy putting on the head will look after all the gasket goo and what not

so it's going to be a while until i get it on -_- hhhh

i'll just have to save uber hard

chapl
21st September 2007, 10:56 AM
what are you doing to your head?

cam gears are not really worth the money imo unless you are going all out. (plus you would prob only tweak the ex cam anyways)

verm69
21st September 2007, 02:49 PM
head's be flowed and some other shit... and it has big port cams in it

I was hoping that the cam's would also help the top end a bit as it's a ze

yes? no?

rb27dett
22nd September 2007, 07:26 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=407609)
If you're going to use silicon on the cam covers don't use heaps because long term the silicon might block the oil pick up and don't use silicon on the inlet and exhaust gasket because it can screw with the o2 sensor.[/b]
ULTRA COPPER..............use it ..love it..
[/b]
yep agreed ultra copper is great stuff its sensor safe and can hanle around 700 deg , also the inlet and exhuast gaskets dont need any silicon as they are self sealing. i once put silicon on a ca18det exhaust mani and it kept blowing it out and leaking , then i cleaned the silicon off and never had a leak again. (y)

rthy
22nd September 2007, 08:13 PM
why both changing cam gears? just extra money for no gain