PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank questions

darkon
24th September 2007, 08:52 PM
my fuel tank has a leak. a big leak. big enough that my car guzzles fuel like a twin charged v8 and kills grass like crazy but not phsyically visible if i had to guess where it was id say it was hidden by one of the straps supporting it. no welding fuel tanks or BOOM so how would i go about fixing this? second question. i wanna put a poly fuel cell. like one of those plastic things. was thinkin 61L. firstly how hard are these to get setup. can anyone give me some information on the conversion? also are these lighter then standard fuel tanks? any help wuld be great thanx guys

rthy
24th September 2007, 10:26 PM
you dont need to go to all that effort, I found out the easy way to clean a tank a while back:

take the filler nozzle off, chuck some detergent in and then hit it for one minute on all the insides with a high pressure hose. Empty it and your done, I know because I worked a few times on mine

parrot
25th September 2007, 01:31 AM
I had a similar problem. For some reason there was a very small crease in the top of the tank that resulted in a tiny split.

This was sufficient to lose quite a bit of fuel, plus stink out the car. It was only visible if you took the tank out and shook it around with some fuel in it. You would then see then a patch of wetness spread around the area of the split. I covered this with some blutack like fuel tank repair putty, cheap at Repco. Seems to have done a good job but have since replaced it with another tank I picked up cheap. I put some small spacers under the straps to reduce the crush factor (?) on the tank.

darkon
25th September 2007, 09:58 AM
sounds great so far guys thanx. im pretty keen on the fuel cell tho i have this "mods over repairs" policy where if something breaks i put in a hi performance item instead. eg my clutch fucked up n was replaced with a 5 puk button. so im curious how much lighter they are n if there are any other advantages to them?