PDA

View Full Version : gearbox leaking from the rear

deanoo
25th September 2007, 11:25 PM
i have done a sr20 conversion in my ae86. have gotten a custom tailshaft made up and ever since then my gearbox leaks from the rear main of the gearbox....

i have changed the seal and it still does it. but the guy that did my conversion when he measured the tailshaft he measured it abit short and the yoak doesnt go all the way in so im not sure if that is the problem...

i dont no what is causing it.. does anyone have a idea???

AmyC
25th September 2007, 11:32 PM
Take a picture of it if ya can ?

deanoo
25th September 2007, 11:34 PM
take a photo of how the tailshaft sits in there?? or with it out???

AmyC
25th September 2007, 11:37 PM
With the shaft in.

deanoo
25th September 2007, 11:42 PM
alright no worries ill get one tomorrow

say if the tailshaft wasnt balanced could that maybe cause the problem??? cause im not sure if they balanced it when they made it...

AmyC
25th September 2007, 11:44 PM
Have a look on the shaft and see if there is welded weights on it. You would feel it if it wasn't balanced.

deanoo
25th September 2007, 11:47 PM
hmm i have noticed lil circles that have been welded on ther but at higher speeds something vibrates and it wasnt ther b4 i done the conversion soo yee not sure...

but i will get some photos up 2moro

ke70dave
26th September 2007, 09:06 AM
does the joint into the gearbox wiggle around much when its in where it sits? id go with the tailshaft is to short, i have a mate with a R31 and he got a mechanic to change the centre bearing, and they put an auto front half in (about 1cm to short) it leaked all the oil out as well, took him ages to work out what it was.

just an idea

deanoo
26th September 2007, 07:40 PM
got some photos hope these help...

if u need more taken let me know

AmyC
26th September 2007, 07:43 PM
Can you see the shaft that slides into the box ?

Should be shiny and some sticking out for engine movement etc ?

deanoo
26th September 2007, 07:48 PM
ye that part is shiny

wat u mean some sticking out of the engine movement etc???

deanoo
26th September 2007, 08:03 PM
k370dave

na it doesnt wiggle at all when its in there
i put sealastic around the seal last night but the leakage is coming from between the shaft and the seal

AmyC
26th September 2007, 08:14 PM
ye that part is shiny

wat u mean some sticking out of the engine movement etc???[/b]
Diff movement push's the shaft in the box further and pulls it out etc

To short and ya shaft will simply rattle around or fall out, Too short and it will screw the back of ya box.

deanoo
26th September 2007, 08:17 PM
well its not that short it doesnt rattle or fall out, how will it screw my box??? what will it do to it exactly???

cuzzo
26th September 2007, 09:44 PM
I have the same problem and my tailshaft is also a touch too short. Why is it when you give the tailshaft place a measurement they take a little bit nore off and now its too short!!!???

Id like to get her lengthend or a spacer made but the spacer will probably be a bad idea.

deanoo
27th September 2007, 06:58 PM
hmmm apprently when u put a spacer there u feel some vibration.. is urs a sr20 conversion as well cuzzo?

cuzzo
27th September 2007, 11:04 PM
hmmm apprently when u put a spacer there u feel some vibration.. is urs a sr20 conversion as well cuzzo?[/b]

nah a 4agte into a ke30