PDA

View Full Version : Crusty bits in my head :unsure:

static
27th September 2007, 04:18 AM
Word up people...

I recently acquired a 4age with a twin carb set up off of Mr2gze on the forums here. First thing I was sure t do when I got the motor home was to pull off the cam covers and take a quick look inside to make sure everything was in order. Whilst doing this I noticed that the cams and inside of the cam covers appeared to be covered in 'dried up' oil that had obviously been in the head for a fair while.
Now I wasnt massively surprised about this because I was aware that the motor had been out of the car for a couple of months but at the same time I dont particularly want this shit floating around in the engine either.

A mate at work thats an old school street machiner said that once I get the motor up and running again I could put a couple of hundred mls of diesel in the sump with the old oil, let the motor idle for a couple of minutes and then just service it (oil and filter) and she should all be sweet. I dont know,diesel in the sump?!!

So should I be worried this crap is in the motor in the first place?
And what do you think of this diesel/oil amalgation idea?
Any better suggestions?

Javal
27th September 2007, 04:54 AM
what your mate has suggested will work fine, just don't drive it around like that.

Alternately, if the scum is just in the cam cover, not on the head itself, just use a parts washer yo.

terryo
27th September 2007, 07:23 AM
this is a common problem with some engines and lack of serivce. we jsut fixed an almost new engine in a camry which was so bad, it siezed the camshaft. I agree you should remove the sump for a look-see. If you cant clean it out, try running it on Penrite Mono 30 (diesel) for a few months

static
27th September 2007, 12:25 PM
Cheers fellas, Im putting an oem oil cooler on the motor with a new clean sump so Ill have a look at the pickup then.
Does any one know how hard it is to remove and refit the sump once the motor is back in the engine bay. I dont really want to put the new sump and oil cooler in until after Ive run this diesel through the galleries.
I imagine by looking at the the shape of it that it can just be undone and slipped forward of the cross member?
also (i know this has been covered before) can anyone recommend what oil i should be using with this motor taking into account its history (looks like a poor service history,old jap big port,prob high klms,carbs)
cheers in advance :blush:

verm69
27th September 2007, 03:12 PM
use shampoo... i suggest head and shoulders...

sorry... i couldn't help it ^_^

back on topic!

static
28th September 2007, 11:24 AM
lol your funny bud :P

Bobomacho
28th September 2007, 08:07 PM
on the downside...

the engine could have not been serviced regularly and sludged up
if u run a detergent in ur engine u have to clean ur pickup its imperitive

oh yer or you could just leave it there. sometimes its that sludge/crust which is actually sealing up your engine and cleaning it will expose leaks. things like oil seals even valve seats etc. a mate ran that detergent in his engine for a while and now it blows smoke. do as you please but just bear in mind there is a minor risk involved

Nikkojoe
28th September 2007, 11:10 PM
Mine had light build up when i got it. Ran some good quality oil and a new filter for 500km and changed it with fresh qualitly oil and another new filter. Within the first 500km the oil went black, but now 4000km later and its still fairly clean :)