PDA

View Full Version : Cut-tin springs.

Robo86
27th September 2007, 01:15 PM
Hey guys,
thanks for havin a look.

i did a quick search but couldnt find much.

i want a clear answer about cutting springs.

say if i buy some lets say 8kg fronts for my 86.
i put them in and its still sitting highish.

if i cut 1 coil off does this send the orignal 8kg rate up shit creek?
ive heard mixed things and want a clear answer. the last thing i want it to butcher the spring rate!

thanks guys.
robo.

roadsailing
27th September 2007, 01:53 PM
cutting off a coil will increase the spring rate, anyone who tells you different is an idiot.

the main issue is that when you cut off an end it might not sit right anymore, depends on the construction etc

snake
27th September 2007, 02:09 PM
mehh.....chopped my 7kgs frnts by 1 coil with angle grinder, ive been told that it would make the rate stiffer, but not by much, i coulnt feel / see any noticable changes personally execpt in ride hieght lol....

i heard using a hack saw to chop will keep the rate, but that would take ages wit 8kgs springs...

I think it comes down to shocks aswell, ive got koni yellows set on 2nd hardest wit my springs, handles quite good for a cheap solution ( hammers corners quite comfortably ) ...but if your serious about spring rates go coilovers makes the world of difference and feels much better.....

v-tec
27th September 2007, 02:24 PM
Theres a certain way of calculating it and i think its on sd.com somewhere.

I think basically as long as you dont need a specific spring rate cut springs are fine, ive never had issues with em and i always run em in the ke.
If you cut down 8kg as said itll just get stiffer, but pretty sure its not like gona jump up to 11kg or something i would say probly 8.5kg or so... Really cant put it that much out of way.

Probly the only thing, which i know you will, is just cut left and right same size or as close to. (ie within 5mm or so, but just as close as possible)

Talk to jase robo, he's gotta be the king of cut springs by now lol

Bustin_86
27th September 2007, 02:53 PM
Agreed with above, it will raise the rate but only slightly

Robo86
27th September 2007, 03:40 PM
thanks alot guys, appriciate it!

v-tec
27th September 2007, 07:49 PM
No worries at all, however in return, i demand to be taken for laps in this hachi in all its jdm'ness when its done

Robo86
27th September 2007, 10:39 PM
toooo easy brother: :P

Big T
27th September 2007, 11:40 PM
aaaa4
aaad x Sm
K= --------
aaaaaaaaaa3
aa(8 x N x D)

where K= spring rate in lb/in
d= wire diameter
Sm= spring modulus of rigidity
N= number of FREE coils
D= diameter of coils

All measurements must be in inches. So it'll depend on how many coils you have in the 1st place. If you have something like 8 or 9 free coils then cutting just one wont effect it too much. But say you only have 4 or 5 coils... cutting one off means you'll have a pretty big jump in rate. There are plenty of calculators online to do the math if your too lazy as well :2thumbs:

Eddie.

Konakid
27th September 2007, 11:54 PM
From personal experience i HIGHLY discourage cutting front springs. Even if you get a wheel alignment, the springs move in the upper hat when turning. When you raise and lower the car(uncaptive) the springs don't sit in properly, makes your alignment way out, then they try resetting themselves everytime you turn a certain amount on way.. Fucking annoying.

As for rear, go nuts.