PDA

View Full Version : couple of Q's regarding ff to fr engine swap

Blood Child
28th September 2007, 05:15 PM
my mate just score a badass ae71 with no motor or box and he needs to know whether he can still use the stock fwd clutch with a rwd box ie. t-50 or similar.
any help would be appreciated. he's a born and bred rotor boy, but he's finally seen the light.

japlish
28th September 2007, 05:22 PM
it should work (it works with 20v's at least)

P.S u still got your 4ac up 4 grabs by any chance?

RobertoX
28th September 2007, 05:26 PM
If it does fit he'll need to pop a spigot bearing into the back of the crank for the t50 input shaft spigot...

Tell him to go down to his local bearing place and grab a 6001 sealed bearing (~$4)... among all the other junk he'll need to do the swap.

Blood Child
28th September 2007, 07:09 PM
Hey guys, my names mick, the owner of the ae71. (truth be told it's a ke70 with ae71 hanging panels)
theres a few things i'm not too clear on, as dwayne said, i'm a rotor boy, so i have minimal experience. anywizzy, i'll get cracking...
the main idea is to get it rego'd, for CHEAP,and use it for drifting. it's a rolling body, full cage, flares no interior, motor or box. i have a 4age for it, which i am rebuilding this sunday if all goes well. planning on running a t50.

when i rebuild it, should i bother porting the head? I have a few options, cleaning up the stock ports,going as big as possible, or leaving the ports as is and running a small huffer (would preffer to keep it NA)

Is there a specific rebuild kit i should go for?

Will GH sigma controll arms give the front more camber, and are they a straight fit?

with the 4age and t50, will i need to get another tailshaft made, or will a ke70 one fit?

I've been told that xf falcon springs cut in half will fit the back, what options are there for the front?

Plenty more to ask, but that will do for now. I'll make an effort to create an account and get some build up pics up. heres a link to the add for sale from the guy i got it off.

http://www.toowoombacarforum.com/phpbb2/vi...;highlight=ae71 (http://www.toowoombacarforum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9060&highlight=ae71)

Blood Child
28th September 2007, 11:28 PM
you could do a custom one piece tailshaft or bolt 2 halves from different models together if you can source them.

ke70dave
29th September 2007, 01:09 AM
hey man i can answer the Q about the tailshaft and springs

depends what you are gonna do with the differential.

im under the impression that the following combinations work

1: T50--> ae86 front half of tailshaft---> ke70 rear half tailshaft-->ke70 borgwarner diff (weld or open, no lsd)

2: T50--> ae86 front half of tailshaft--->AE86 rear half tailshaft--->AE86 S series diff (weld or open, no lsd)

3: T50--> ae86 front half of tailshaft---> T18 rear half tailshaft -->T18 T series differential (weld, open, and aftermarket lsd available)

sorry not sure the difference between an AE71 diff, im pretty sure its same as ke70, anyone confirm it?

since you are goin cheap, welded diff might be the way to go, so the first 2 options will do fine, but if you can spare the cash, im told a nice LSD is worth it.

front springs the falcon springs will fit in as well, EB-AU (you get the rear ones from the falcon, and stick them in the front), its kinda dodgy though, better off saving and getting decent suspension.

hope this helps

ps, can you throw up some pics of the 3000+ rivets used to join the seams, thats gota be a nightmare of a job...

Blood Child
29th September 2007, 07:16 PM
hey man i can answer the Q about the tailshaft and springs

depends what you are gonna do with the differential.

im under the impression that the following combinations work

1: T50--> ae86 front half of tailshaft---> ke70 rear half tailshaft-->ke70 borgwarner diff (weld or open, no lsd)

2: T50--> ae86 front half of tailshaft--->AE86 rear half tailshaft--->AE86 S series diff (weld or open, no lsd)

3: T50--> ae86 front half of tailshaft---> T18 rear half tailshaft -->T18 T series differential (weld, open, and aftermarket lsd available)

sorry not sure the difference between an AE71 diff, im pretty sure its same as ke70, anyone confirm it?

since you are goin cheap, welded diff might be the way to go, so the first 2 options will do fine, but if you can spare the cash, im told a nice LSD is worth it.

front springs the falcon springs will fit in as well, EB-AU (you get the rear ones from the falcon, and stick them in the front), its kinda dodgy though, better off saving and getting decent suspension.

hope this helps

ps, can you throw up some pics of the 3000+ rivets used to join the seams, thats gota be a nightmare of a job...[/b]

mick again, yeah, the rivets are pretty horrific. if i had the car from the beginning i would have seam welded it. cheers for the advice. i will go with falcon for the time being and upgrade later on if i feel the need, it is just a fun basher after all.

will a 20v upper inlet bolt directly to a 16v lower inlet manifold?

Nikkojoe
29th September 2007, 10:09 PM
ke70dave - Option 2 can have an lsd, just you probably wont find one :P