PDA

View Full Version : s series mounts onto f series housing

KuRt
2nd October 2007, 08:21 PM
f series diff ie tarago diff has way biger axles the your standerd s series and thier cheaper than t series but there not as big as hilux so its an easy medium so you start out with your stock f series as you dont need the mounts off it you cut them off with an angle grinder or if you want blown them off with an oxy i choose the angle grinder,but the mane thing with cuting of the mounts on the f series is not to damage the housing i cut them off leaving the welds and then grinded the welds of with a grinding disk thats as far as iv gone so far but there is more to come soon so keep watching

bahnugget
2nd October 2007, 09:02 PM
F series are WAYYY overkill for probably 85-90% of the hachi's on this site.. they're like 27 spline and hilux are 30 from memory.

also, finding an F series with the correct width will be more difficult and probably not vary much in price from a T series, PLUS the added cost of customising mounts.
The only F series hachi drivers should be looking at are in the EFI YR22 tarago's, and mk2 coronas.. good luck. the carburettored YR22/YR21 Tarago's have E series diffs.

upside is the 4.3 ratio of the tarago, the correct stud pattern, and the availability of LSD's (i understand altezza (SXE10) and Ga70 Supra standard LSDs fit as well as Detroit torsen lockers for the front of hilux surfs, and the TRD 2 way for the altezza.. but dont quote me on those)

johl
2nd October 2007, 09:34 PM
good write up... should be in tech articles tho

KuRt
2nd October 2007, 11:09 PM
woops how stupid am i lol it will get moved over

dr1ft-pig
3rd October 2007, 12:09 AM
running it wider would be a nice advantage as the track increase isnt much but its enough to not have to buy crazy offset wheels to fill guards nicely

bahnugget
3rd October 2007, 12:15 AM
tarago is closer to 1445mm by the measure of my diff..

for my uses at least, 17.5mm either side is a pretty useful track increase.. obviously not for some but its handy for me.

af300e
27th January 2008, 12:56 PM
I agree that the F type is probably overkill for most 86's, however, I have a T series (ra60) and an F series (MkII) in my shed and simply eyeballing them doesn't show much in the way of a weight disadvantage to the F series. I will weigh them though................

I will be using the F due to 4agte.

Broken axle=stranded and stranded sucks.

starni_boy
28th January 2008, 09:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The only F series hachi drivers should be looking at are in the EFI YR22 tarago's, and mk2 coronas.. good luck. the carburettored YR22/YR21 Tarago's have E series diffs.[/b]

Are the tarago E series axles that much stronger over a T series axle? I have one of each here and they both look about the same size.

af300e
28th January 2008, 11:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Are the tarago E series axles that much stronger over a T series axle? I have one of each here and they both look about the same size.[/b]

Apparantly not, and lsd is unavailable.

af300e
28th January 2008, 07:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (improved86 @ Jan 28 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=475786)</div>
is a F series is overkill for a ae86 ? depending on what you are using it for there not as strong as you would think , MK2 mx13 axles are piss weak and i would have been lucky to get two weeks of use from them before they twisted like twigs[/b]

Really?
If they do break at least having a 27? spline center allows you to have some proper say G series or VN axles machined to fit.

af300e
29th January 2008, 09:47 AM
Ah, that's ok for my application then. I'd be lucky to make 600nm at the fly.

PuGZoR
29th January 2008, 10:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bahnugget @ Oct 2 2007, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=413612)</div>
upside is the 4.3 ratio of the tarago, the correct stud pattern, and the availability of LSD's (i understand altezza (SXE10) and Ga70 Supra standard LSDs fit as well as Detroit torsen lockers for the front of hilux surfs, and the TRD 2 way for the altezza.. but don't quote me on those)[/b]
4.3 for the automatic flavoured ones, 4.1 for the manuals. :)

Hen is a total nutcase
29th January 2008, 10:25 AM
And make sure you move the diff breather to the driver's side of the diff housing before fitting it (so you exhaust doesn't hit it). And be careful when you are drilling a hole for it that you don't drill through the internal baffling (or else diff oil will piss out).

Guess who learnt both the hard way.

Hen