PDA

View Full Version : Don't understand. Super Confusing??

4A-GE Power
2nd October 2007, 08:22 PM
Ok I am heaps confused and i have used the search engine but couldn't really find what i was looking for.

I am looking to buy a S2 T-18 T-Series for my 86. now i know that i need to use half of the t-18 tailshaft, but im confused about the differences between S1 and S2. What are the differences, also more importantly will this even fit an 86 and what handbrake cables do i use?

Cheers Dan

nath
2nd October 2007, 08:31 PM
you can use your s series cables unclip them from the drums

and the difference is s1 don't have sway bar mounts pretty sure, ajps sells the mounts to mod s1 to s2

ke70dave
2nd October 2007, 08:33 PM
im under the impression that one difference between S1 and S2 is that S1 doesnt have sway bar mounts.

roadsailing
2nd October 2007, 08:42 PM
i only heard this, so take with a grain of salt, but apparently:

S1 = 3.7 ratio

S2 = 3.9 ratio

4A-GE Power
2nd October 2007, 08:52 PM
ok. do i have to modify to swaybar mounts?

roadsailing
2nd October 2007, 08:56 PM
ok. do i have to modify to swaybar mounts?[/b]

if you dont have swaybar mounts and you want to run a swaybar, then yeah you need to weld on swaybar mounts

Javal
2nd October 2007, 08:58 PM
If you buy an S2 T-18 diff, then the standard swaybar will fit as it is the same design as the sprinter one.

SOME S1 diffs come with swaybar mounts, they were a factory option (rare) on S1's, and standard on S2's.

as for ratios i can't comment on that as i dont kow.

johl
2nd October 2007, 09:36 PM
u dont have to weld on mounts. u can just buy some d clamps from a susp shop. way cheaper and u dont need a doner diff. holds up strong as too

Hen is a total nutcase
4th October 2007, 12:48 AM
Yes, SV11. I heard that from Parrot and he knows his stuff. Mine is currently still in my toolbox otherwise I'd confirm it from personal experience.

Oh yeah, any T18 diff will fit your sprinter, only difference is swaybar mounts. And maybe ratio by the sounds of it.

4A-GE Power
4th October 2007, 07:20 PM
ok cool good to hear. so it's just pull the s series out and fit the t series with rear half tailshaft??

RobertoX
4th October 2007, 07:24 PM
Yep thats all you need to do...

As for swaybar mounts, if you don't have them just chop off the s-series ones and get them welded on. Mine cost me $20 to get done, its not expensive.