PDA

View Full Version : Camber from camber tops

eightsixboy
4th October 2007, 11:52 AM
I'm at trade school this week so i thought i would give my car a wheel alignment, i have just istalled my ajps coilovers. any ways when i put them in i set both the left and right to 3 markings.

When i did my wheel alignment yesterday i apparently only had -1 on the left and -.5 on the right. So i maxed out both sides and still only got -2 on the left and -1.5 on the right. I was like wtf as you could see that there was a shit load of camber. Also i couldn't help but wonder why i was gettuing more on the left when nothing is bent under the car and they were set the same.

So yeah any ideas why i only get -2 when the tops are maxed out? And also why one side gets more with the exact same settings on both sides?

Cheers

wooley
4th October 2007, 11:59 AM
because something else will be bent or misaligned causing there to differences in camber when they are both set on the same setting.

no idea why your only getting max 2degrees camber.
you need longer lca's etc me thinks.

wait wait wait. did you do the alignment with the wheels of the ground.
and then measure how much camber you got when the wheels were back on the ground?
that'd mess things up alot. lol.

Bustin_86
4th October 2007, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I believe i talked to you yesterday on the phone?

As i said, camber will vary somewhat on the height of your vehicle. Also keep in mind that even a slightly bent component can affect suspension geometry subtley.

If your still are after those parts give me a call and we will work out some deals.

If i can be of further assistance please let me know :)

Kind regards,

Justin.

Kyouteki Team.

eightsixboy
4th October 2007, 12:14 PM
I did the alingment on those plate things under the wheels that move. I had a good look and i'm positive nothings bent, only stuffed bushings on the control arms, surely that wouldn't make that much difference?

Bustin_86
4th October 2007, 12:16 PM
Bushings on the control arms wont make much difference.

Your sure the machine is accurate? If you can see a shitload of camber as you claim by eye, i would be looking towards other venues of inaccuracy.

eightsixboy
4th October 2007, 12:21 PM
Thats what i was thinking, i mean i could see camber before the alignment and after i had bassically doubled the amount by eye. Looked like a atleast -4.

wooley
4th October 2007, 12:33 PM
might have to actually get out a tap measure and do some measurements and see what you come up with.
like bustin said. maybe the machines wrong ? :)

Bustin_86
4th October 2007, 12:44 PM
You can tell if a car has camber visually, i would recommend trying another machine and/or doing some rough measurement yourself.

johl
4th October 2007, 01:44 PM
get out the old string and plumbob

driftke70
4th October 2007, 02:07 PM
its just a natural thing, some cars get it from turning one way more than others and over time (20 years +) the car becomes slightly twisted in the body. See it all the time at work. It could also be castor related, if you checked your castor and they are both the same then something is fishy, but castors in reality shouldnt be the same unless they are on a track car, because you normally make castor a little more positive on the left hand side to negate the camber in the roads. If i were you I would be fitting corona arms and using your camber tops to correct them, this way you still have a simmilar amount of camber as you would just maxing out the top hats, but you also gain the added track. Its pretty hard to be sure something isnt bent, even from the factory cars are skiff

eightsixboy
4th October 2007, 04:40 PM
Castor was at plus 3.2ish on both sides. I would have the rh side maxed and the Lh side one click less and it had .5 of a degree more on the Lh side. So yeah i don't know. I mean i have never smashed the car but who knows whats happened to it, theres justs something about having to have the rh side 2 or 3 clicks more to get the same as the Lh side, really bugs me.

stuntman
4th October 2007, 05:09 PM
i'd say do the stuffed lower control arm bushes if you've spent the money on coilovers u definatley should have got the bushes done they're pretty important specialy with stiffer springs and lower height beside it would rule another thing out, rubber can sag and all that but steel probably wont unless its from factory or a crash. also allignment places can be dodgy maybe try another one

riceburner
4th October 2007, 11:17 PM
If your using ajps coilovers then id assume your using cusco tops. Are you using low castor ones or high castor. yes there is a difference. But the full effects of using the wrong ones im not entirely sure yet.

Also ive seen this happen to ajps coilovers with the top spring perch is super close to the camber top. Even with that tiny ass spacer that cusco supplies.

Im 60% sure your camber delima's lie within the spring perch hitting the camber tops.

Stick your hand up there and have a feel around or look thru the tops and if it touching, space that shit out somemore, or get a refund.

Dont happen to have a funny noise when turning full lock do you.

Maybe not straight away but it will eventually.

if that isnt it then you have some serious body alignment issues or your using 1 seriously fuked up machine. You should be able to get atleast 3-3.5deg neg from cusco tops.

chapl
4th October 2007, 11:28 PM
its just a natural thing, some cars get it from turning one way more than others and over time (20 years +) the car becomes slightly twisted in the body. See it all the time at work. It could also be castor related, if you checked your castor and they are both the same then something is fishy, but castors in reality shouldnt be the same unless they are on a track car, because you normally make castor a little more positive on the left hand side to negate the camber in the roads. If i were you I would be fitting corona arms and using your camber tops to correct them, this way you still have a simmilar amount of camber as you would just maxing out the top hats, but you also gain the added track. Its pretty hard to be sure something isnt bent, even from the factory cars are skiff[/b]

right on the money.

Konakid
5th October 2007, 12:42 AM
My car also gives .5 difference between sides, just align it out i guess.

With corona arms and cusco tops on ajps coilovers, i achieved -2.5 and -3, when maxxed out.

Your measurement sounds about right for standard control arms.

Make sure the bolts that hold the slider in arent fouling on the strut top opening in the chassis, if they are, simply remove the bolts, and put them one closer together so you can get full range of movement.

If i can be of further assistance please let me know

Kind regards,

Henry.

AJPS Team.

eightsixboy
5th October 2007, 04:48 PM
Holy S**t, spring perch hit the tops that might be it cause when i was changing the camber i notice that the left hand side slide across with ease and the rh side had to be pryed to get it to move, the wheels were of the ground to.

Ill check that tonight.

riceburner
5th October 2007, 10:58 PM
Holy S**t, spring perch hit the tops that might be it cause when i was changing the camber i notice that the left hand side slide across with ease and the rh side had to be pryed to get it to move, the wheels were of the ground to.

Ill check that tonight.[/b]

i only suggested it because ive seen it before with ajps coilovers. Cusco are known for having a shallow spacer, the flat top spring perch doesnt help either.