PDA

View Full Version : front tyres squealing

Blood Child
5th October 2007, 09:04 PM
just wondering why/how to fix it.
happens whilst driving straight, but is accentuated during cornering.

Trev084
5th October 2007, 09:10 PM
How's your alignment, Its the only thing i can think of.

Benny
5th October 2007, 09:16 PM
Is said driving straight actually fishtailing? That would incurr much squealing lol..

roadsailing
5th October 2007, 09:29 PM
need more info

are you running shit tyres?

what diff do you have?

Gilly
5th October 2007, 09:30 PM
wheel alignment

check pressures too

Blood Child
5th October 2007, 09:39 PM
pressures should be right, running an s series diff, pretty much brand spanking tyres, not fishtailing.
alignment is probably fucked as i had to get some steering gear worked on for rwc.
how much for a cheap alignment?

Fozz
5th October 2007, 09:56 PM
how much for a cheap alignment?[/b]

Wheel alignments are cheap as i got mine done for $40

riceburner
5th October 2007, 10:55 PM
id start by checking the tyres for wear marks

then tyre pressures, correct for the tyre, "not what your mate has in his ford meteor"

then get it up on a wheel aligner and check your toes.

if all seems good and they still squeal, get a refund and take your money elsewhere

ke70dave
6th October 2007, 12:07 AM
you should be able to get a pretty good wheel alignment by measuring between the front and back edges of the front wheels, and adjusting the tie rods accordingly. this way you can see if it was your alignment, before you go and spend 50$.

i did my own wheel alignment a little over 4months ago, drives straight every day, prolly not the best on tyres, but they arent bald yet!

Driftspec
6th October 2007, 02:29 AM
I would also suggest you have your brakes checked too, if the pads are close to the disc or are worn, then they will squeal.

Definitely get your steering checked out too, but I would say the squealing would be more likely from brakes (unless you have any other info :) )

SLO-030
6th October 2007, 02:54 AM
Wheel alignment yo!!

Do as ke70dave said... Make sure your on even ground and DONT jack the car up.

I use two spray can paint lids to make sure im at the same height on the wheel front and back.

squish
6th October 2007, 03:45 AM
if its really bad look for "feathering" on the tyres. chucked camber bolts on my car and i have massive toe-in and you could see the "feathering"

Blood Child
6th October 2007, 04:19 AM
just got the steering and brakes fixed (new rack end boots and a reconditioned master cylinder, plus brake pads are near new).
as soon as i'm up tomorrow i'll check the toe in/out with a stringline and see if that helps at all. at least my test drives can exceed the length of my dead end street now that i have rego and plates.

Blood Child
6th October 2007, 06:32 PM
just woke up, had a quick look and it appears that my rackends? have been replaced as well as the boots, and probably just haven't been adjusted.
i'll try to straighten it all up to the best of my ability and hope it holds me through til i can get a proper alignment.