PDA

View Full Version : Surge tank setup

driftke70
6th October 2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah ive set my surge tank up, everything is dandy except my facet cube type lift pump wont LIFT!!!!!. I tried lowering it closer and then to the point at which it was lower than the tank and still no worky, tried aiming the outlet higher than the inlet to encourage priming but to no avail, just makes its stupid ticky noise as to mock me. Anyone have experience with these pumps, recommend another type/style of lifter pump (where/how much). Thanks in advance.

Beally

hilux05
8th October 2007, 06:11 PM
hey man, i cant give any advice but i was hoping i could come over some time and have a look at your set up as im doing mine at the moment too. where abouts in buderim you located?

cheers. Richie.

steroidchickens
8th October 2007, 06:22 PM
it doesnt really matter which way it is facing really. i had a cheap and nasty supercheap auto $45 pre pump suporting 130rwkw for a year and it was vertical.
do you have a fuel filter before it blocked?
is the onther end completly submerged in petrol?
try taking it out and putting the inlet in fuel and double check it works. pump might be stuffed.

driftke70
9th October 2007, 12:34 AM
im pretty sure i just need to pressurise the tank and force the air out of the lines, fuel line is connected to the main feed on the tank. Havnt put much thought into it.

hilux 05 you can have a look but its nothing fancy, just trying to get it working before i get some alloy sheet going and make it all look pretty. Theres not much to em, just need a feed, a return, an overflow and the line at the bottom going to your motor.

Benno
9th October 2007, 07:57 AM
im pretty sure i just need to pressurise the tank and force the air out of the lines, fuel line is connected to the main feed on the tank. Havnt put much thought into it.[/b]

so what's the point of running a surge tank if the first bit of air you get in the feed system would cause the pump would stall???

i wouldn't bother with a cube type pump, go spend a few dollars an buy a descent holley or carter lift pump. it's worth the investment if you gonna set up a surge tank.
[attachment=17940:fuel_sys_crop_.jpg]

driftke70
11th October 2007, 01:35 AM
once the air has been forced out the system will be primed and should never get any air in it ever again, unless i run my tank bone dry.

Benno
11th October 2007, 08:06 AM
assuming this is for a ke70...1/3 to 1/4 of a tank and some good corners you'll start sucking air, that's where the surge tank comes in.

if your lift pump can't self prime and start pumping then you're waisting your time putting a surge/fuel system in. it defeats the purpose of it!

driftke70
11th October 2007, 02:56 PM
it can self prime, just not when its more than 20mm above the fuel level and has nothing but air from tank to engine, but once it has been primed air entering will be self primed. Im aware of the purpose of a surge tank, hence the reason i have one.

Gilly
11th October 2007, 09:16 PM
that facet pump should be self priming, most quality ones are.

i'd be testing it with a bucket of fuel and hose etc so you can see whats doing.

if its no good i am currently using a ECCO branded pump available from repco, its for my low pressure carb setup so it runs a restrictor valve, once removed it would be adequate for filling a surge tank IMO, its used on carb'ed engines up to 5l in capacity.

it was $150ish, you'd get it less at trade, i would have if i had time :P

there wasn't much else around really, ihear bad things about holley pumps, facet are supposed to be good with pierberg being the best and well priced as well.

70XIN
12th October 2007, 12:32 PM
any reason why i couldnt use a bosch 044 (or smaller??) to be the lift pump, the main pump itself will be an 044

biggo
12th October 2007, 06:51 PM
70xin - im using twin 070s for my surge setup, one as a lifter one as feed. AFAIK it pumps too much at the moment but thats just idle and free reving. usually its meant to be the bigger pump as lifter. BUT its better to just get a proper lifter as it works better. How much power you chasing now? At what pressure in the rail?

driftke70
13th October 2007, 03:48 PM
i ended up using a bosch intank pump for a falcodore or something, just modified my pickup and all is sweet.

The idea of the lift pump is to be low pressure high volume. As opposed to your feed which would be high pressure low volume (relatively speaking)

dustyae86
13th October 2007, 07:22 PM
I'm running a pierberg lift pump it flows more than an 044 just at lower pressure, and an 070 to pump it to the rail, this is definately more than adequate for anything a 1.6l could handle