PDA

View Full Version : Bigport???

DRFTR86
8th October 2007, 06:53 PM
someone please tell me if i have a bigport, as far as i know, arnt all bigports blue writing, and smallports are red and black writing, just confused as it has red and black writing and TVIS(this version is shit)

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/5783/sprinterjy8gy5.th.jpg (http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sprinterjy8gy5.jpg)

AmyC
8th October 2007, 06:58 PM
Bigport.

Fozz
8th October 2007, 07:02 PM
This is taken from bill sherwoods page:

The total variants of the 4AGE are, to the best of my knowledge -
- Very early big port TVIS 16 valve, with black lettering & 6-bolts holding the flywheel on.
- Big port TVIS FWD/RWD 16 valve, usually with blue lettering on the cam cover and 'TVIS' on the inlet plenum.
- Big port TVIS FWD 16 valve, with red lettering. They have a seven-rib block with oil-squirters.
- Small port non-TVIS FWD valve.

hope that helps

DRFTR86
8th October 2007, 07:07 PM
cheers bro

AmyC
8th October 2007, 07:09 PM
There is also a Bigport 7 rib block 18/40 bottom end with NO OIL SQUIRTER'S.

DRFTR86
8th October 2007, 07:20 PM
this is great, i fucked myself over bad, i went and bought a t3 itb manifold adaptor for a small port, go me

flamingheads
8th October 2007, 08:32 PM
Read this (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=16091&hl=)

love whipping out the old thread...

ke70kid86
8th October 2007, 11:36 PM
i think this is a big port.

ive heard mixed things about this, some websites say its small some say its big, because i have a ae92sx, and it has that one (red+black writting, and no it hasnt been painted) in it, but a few people say that its a small port. but i think its a bigport.

anyone want to correct me, feel free.

johnny_08
8th October 2007, 11:37 PM
u can still use the adaptor

Lost Prophet
9th October 2007, 12:30 AM
i think this is a big port.

ive heard mixed things about this, some websites say its small some say its big, because i have a ae92sx, and it has that one (red+black writting, and no it hasnt been painted) in it, but a few people say that its a small port. but i think its a bigport.

anyone want to correct me, feel free.[/b]

If its the stock engine in your car it is a smallport. The ae92 didn't come out with a bigport, i have a smallport in one of my sprinters, i guess the way to really make sure is to whip the inlet manifold off and have a look at the ports.

Also i'm not 100% on this but if it has an oil return on the back of the block its more than likely a smallport, mine has it on anyway.

AmyC
9th October 2007, 12:34 AM
It has a rwd inlet manifold, BIGPORT.

DRFTR86
9th October 2007, 12:37 AM
u can still use the adaptor[/b]

how do u mean????, on the same head, but wont there be a massive difference in port size???

roadsailing
9th October 2007, 12:43 AM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=416771)
u can still use the adaptor[/b]

how do u mean????, on the same head, but wont there be a massive difference in port size???
[/b]

yes, a huge difference. i'd buy the adapter off you but i already found one.

if it has TVIS = bigport

slide86
9th October 2007, 03:40 AM
just buy a bigport to small port adaptor and then you can use your manifold

DRFTR86
9th October 2007, 09:40 AM
just buy a bigport to small port adaptor and then you can use your manifold[/b]
will that work as the head is bigport and manifold is small port, or dus it work the other way around, head is small port manifold is bigport

DRFTR86
9th October 2007, 11:37 AM
or what if a go sik at the tvis plate with a diegrinder will that work????

SpotterOne
9th October 2007, 12:19 PM
or what if a go sik at the tvis plate with a diegrinder will that work????[/b]

Not really. The TVIS plate has 8 round holes in it, and unless you weld it up to make it the same size as the manifold, it will still have the big step.

Either sell the adaptor and get a proper one, or find yourself a smallport head. For ITB conversions, you will be better off with a smallport head anyway.

johnny_08
9th October 2007, 12:42 PM
sorry man, maybe its bigport adaptor to small port head, the one u can use. i know bill sherwood said it somewhere

DRFTR86
9th October 2007, 04:08 PM
say i buy a smallport head,a) will it directly bolt up to big port bottom end??, B) will the injectors and fuel rail bolt up to it the same as it is atm??

AmyC
9th October 2007, 04:19 PM
Head will bolt up.
Injectors will fit.
Use a smallport fuel rail.

SpotterOne
9th October 2007, 04:58 PM
Head will bolt up.
Injectors will fit.
Use a smallport fuel rail.[/b]

I did exactly this just recently. The 3-rib bigport bottom end isnt as strong as the 7-rib smallport version, but I've been racing with mine for a couple of years now with no problems.

The head bolts up exactly the same as per the above post

The injectors are the same as per the above post.

The fuel rail is different. You wont be using the manifold that is bolted to the throttle bodies, so you will need the 16v fuel rail. The bigport rail had a bigger gap between #2 and #3 injectors. The smallport rail has all the injectors the same distance apart. This is the one you will need.

DRFTR86
9th October 2007, 05:28 PM
alrite wtb smallport head and fuel rail, hus got them???, also with this setup, small port head on bigport bottom end, itbs, will i need adaptor still, or just bolt manifold straight up to head??

ke70kid86
9th October 2007, 05:35 PM
sorry to hijack...

but while where on the subject of heads.

does everyone put agze big port heads on the smallport agze bottom end. or can you just throw on a 4age bp head on the small port gze bottom end and still be reliable, or are the gze heads made much better? whats the diff between the gze heads and the 4age ones?

also is it a straight swap for the bigport gze head to the smallport gze bottom end?

cheers, issa.

btw sorry for the hijack.

SpotterOne
10th October 2007, 09:38 AM
alrite wtb smallport head and fuel rail, hus got them???, also with this setup, small port head on bigport bottom end, itbs, will i need adaptor still, or just bolt manifold straight up to head??[/b]

You will still need the adaptor.

There is still 1 further option. From memory, the T3 ITB Manifold is quite thick. There may be enough meat left in it to allow some grinding to match the bigport head. I haven't tried this, and take no responsibility for you messing it up!!!

DRFTR86
10th October 2007, 01:13 PM
http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image047sp8.jpg

picking up smallport head and fuel rail soon, this manifold in the pic is the small port version, will post pics of the manifolds port sizes tonite

seriously guys thanks for the advice, cos i was lost with all this