PDA

View Full Version : lotsa free-play in front wheels

johnny_08
9th October 2007, 10:18 PM
hey guys,
as stated, and the steering clunks when turning corners, gettin it checked out soon but if u guys know what parts i would need (cause i know this has happened to you guys :P) i could try and source them cheaper, it also looks like there is a bump in the steering rack boot.
cheers
John

Javal
9th October 2007, 10:43 PM

....how hard did you hit the kerb?

i would be replacing the entire steering assembly

2nd hand rack, new rack ends, new tie rods.

get it all checked out and get a wheel alignment.

Also buy a lock spacer while you're at it.

MountainRunner
9th October 2007, 10:46 PM
maybe fucked bearings ur bent stub axle

kaibeecee
9th October 2007, 11:01 PM
yeah, i'd almost be certain it's a bent stub axle.

johnny_08
9th October 2007, 11:02 PM
oh man this is gonna cost heaps :( well it was hard but not fast, but the front suspension is rock hard anyway, and the gutter was more of an island type concrete thing, like not the full 90 degree, more of an angled one

Konakid
9th October 2007, 11:05 PM

....how hard did you hit the kerb?

i would be replacing the entire steering assembly

2nd hand rack, new rack ends, new tie rods.

get it all checked out and get a wheel alignment.

Also buy a lock spacer while you're at it.[/b]

zing, depending how hard you hit you may have smashed some rack teeth, not cool at all, swap the rack over.

Javal
9th October 2007, 11:07 PM
maybe fucked bearings ur bent stub axle[/b]

I wouldn't think it's either of those, because if the stub axle was bent (and in turn smashed wheelbearings) you would notice the wheel being hugely off camber, and the toe in / out being extremely out of whack, the car would crab etc, and constant grinding from the wheelbearing.

The chunky / clunky steering sounds more like a shot rack (from massive impact) to me.

Surprised the tie rods held up, when i smacked the gutter (in lawsons car :P) the tie rod went and the rack was still okay...

johnny_08
9th October 2007, 11:10 PM
well i havent heard any grinding and my cars -3 cambered anyway so i wouldn't notice extra camber, so u reckon new steering rack? how do u measure toe? and the clunk only happens now and then? like i tried to show my mechanic mate by steering in and out of his driveway but it didnt do it

Javal
9th October 2007, 11:13 PM
If you can get them new, maybe, but i doubt that you can.

Go to a toyota wrecker and get one from a sprinter or AE71 PANEL VAN (not wagon).

You can get reconditioned racks from memory, no idea where from.

Replace the tie rods / rack ends too, as these will more than likely be bent.

is this for a KE / AE or Sprinter?

johnny_08
9th October 2007, 11:16 PM
sprinter, i was gonna go to a suspension place to get this all done, would they be able to source one? how much u reckon that'll all cost?

edit: this happened about 3-4 weeks ago and the car has been completley drivable just the clunking sound worried me

Javal
9th October 2007, 11:19 PM
If you go to a generic suspension place, they will generally just source a rack for a corolla, in which case you will end up having less lock, as the AE71 / KE70 racks had one less tooth.

See if you can source the rack yourself, even better talk to AJPS because they generally have them in stock.

Oh also, whatever you do, DO NOT go to pedders, dammit.

johnny_08
9th October 2007, 11:26 PM
should i get it checked out then find out what i need? or i guess they wouldn't let me drive off or the wouldn't be able to put it bac togather, just dont wanna buy a rack and find out i dont need it

Javal
9th October 2007, 11:34 PM
just go to a workshop you are friendly with and get the mechanics opinion, maybe get him to put it on the hoist and visually inspect it.

If it's just a dingy little local workshop they won't pull the 'i can't let you drive out of here like this' bullshit.

Make sure they look but don't start pulling shit apart.

johnny_08
10th October 2007, 01:35 AM
cool theres one near me i go to and the guys pretty helpful, thanx heaps javal (y)