PDA

View Full Version : Ke70 adjustable column

tin can
16th October 2007, 11:21 PM
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone on this forum has made a ke70 steering column adjustable.
I tried putting one in my ke but it's not going smoothy.I've pulled both of them apart and every single bit of a ke and a ae86 column is different
Please if anyone has had the problem or has done this conversion please shed some light on my situation.
The only thing I can't think of doing right know is cutting off the old stud/bolt and putting longer stud/bolts in the bracket and putting a piece of 12mm tube between the dash bracket and the steering column bracket to space it down further.
Thanks jess

Gilly
16th October 2007, 11:30 PM
option 2 equals winner

fit longer bolts and space the column down

i did that in my old KE as the 86 column wouldn't fit

don't sapce it too much though as it

1. looks wak
2. stresses the little uni joint more
3. drops your steering wheel into view of your instruments

tin can
16th October 2007, 11:37 PM
gilly

matei want to space it down about 30mm should that be ok.when you say to much how much is to much

thanks for the quick reply

p.s cant wit for my lip mate

thanks jess

sprintdaddy
18th October 2007, 02:10 AM
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone on this forum has made a ke70 steering column adjustable.
I tried putting one in my ke but it's not going smoothy.I've pulled both of them apart and every single bit of a ke and a ae86 column is different
Please if anyone has had the problem or has done this conversion please shed some light on my situation.
The only thing I can't think of doing right know is cutting off the old stud/bolt and putting longer stud/bolts in the bracket and putting a piece of 12mm tube between the dash bracket and the steering column bracket to space it down further.
Thanks jess[/b]

You could always just buy an AE86 :P

Gilly
18th October 2007, 07:48 AM
gilly

matei want to space it down about 30mm should that be ok.when you say to much how much is to much

thanks for the quick reply

p.s cant wit for my lip mate

thanks jess[/b]

30mm is pretty extreme

i'd start with 10mm and go from there

you'll be surprised at how much difference it makes

stuntman
18th October 2007, 05:57 PM
hey guys only slightly off topic but does the AE71 have an adjustable steering column ive got an 86 but i want a ke70/ae71 so does the steering wheel sit too high???

Gilly
18th October 2007, 06:55 PM
it doesn't sit high

my seat is low

its not an issue now but if i use my fixed back bucket on side mount rails it generally is